• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing pole help

I picked up a g loomis sjr 782 glx 6'6" med fast action rod, fished with it this past weekend and really was not impressed with the feel of the rod (sensitivity and the handle itself).

I usually lindy rig most of the time, and I see g loomis has there walleye series but I want to stay with the glx so they have two opions the 6'2" wjr 742s and the 7' wrr8400s. It seem to me with the longer rod you lose sensitivity with the rod seeming flimsy. I've always have fished with a 6' rod. If anybody has fished with them or know somebodys thay has I just need some input.

For rigging I find that a 7'ML is perfect. The longer rod allows you to pick up the slack line where a 6' wouldn't. In the end though it all comes down to personal preference. Whatever length you decide make sure it has a soft tip. A soft tip is a key element in a good lindy rigging rod!

That is not a good lindy rod. If you really don't like it I might know someone who would take it off your hands wink. Seriously, for lindy rigs I would go with the HSR 9000 in IMX instead of the WRR8400. I have the HSR 9000 and love it, but I also have a St. Croix Tournement Legend 76MLF bait rod and wouldn't give it up either. The G. Loomis has a tad bit stiffer tip which makes it perfect for the sandy or muddy parts of Mille Lacs, but if it's rocky I find the rod to be to sensitive?? Thats when the St. Croix really shines. With that rod you can tell the difference between running over a rock and a walleye looking at your leech.

Others will chime in here as well. The HSR9000 seems to be the rod of choice for seriously lindy rigging.

I think my sr5? 7 foot st. croix I build in the rod building class is the best I have every seen or felt. I also have a 5'8" st. croix sr2 jigging pole that i also love. It is a little small wit my big boat but I love it. It is over 10 years old and I would not trade it for anything.

I did not like my GL IMX 6'6" -- medium /fast. It feels like a stiff bass pole. It is a long sad story but I paid too much for it and hate it. I also think the grip is too fat and loses its "feel"

The HSR 9000 is awesome for rigging on Mille Lacs. I love my IMX. . That is one of the most popular rods for sure on rigging.

I have the 7 ft ML in the St. Croix legend Elite - I extended it to 7'10. I like that rod as well. You can't go wrong with either one of them grin

Going to take a look (maybe today) at the HSR 9000 blank in GLX and compare it to the St. Croix legend Elite 7'6" ML. I'll build one of them next Winter. I'll extend the handle and make the rod 8'4".

Anyone try the new Fenwick Walleye Elite Rods?

Have heard some good things, but they are new this year so not a lot of reviews yet. Seem to be very nice rod for the money.

Didn't get up there today. Hopefully tomorrow. Who knows maybe I'll build an legend elite 7'6" and HSR 9000 GLX. Time to start saving those Pennies.

When I get up there, I'll give you my "two cents"worth on what I thought.

I know the Legend Elites are cheaper.

I just picked up the Limit Creek 8.3 ft medium light power extendable last weekend and man what a rod. The sensitivity is unsurpassed, just incredible. Great rigging rod. I used it for the first time Sunday and was amazed at what I could feel with it. Even if you were wearing welding gloves with wool liners you can rely on just watching the tip as it tellagraphs a bite. Put both together you wont miss a fish. grin

So to the Question these longer rods they are not flimsy, quite the opposite if you get a great brand see above, and the sensitivity and control is out of this world.

That I don't know, I would be curious to know what kind of blanks and where to get them but out of respect to the builder I dont ask of Limit Creek I let them have that info for them to share at their will as they are a small business and I do enjoy their product so much.

Its a good question and I hope I didn't come across sounding snubish or anything like that.