• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Tip of the Day: Rope Cleat

SteveD

Have you ever struggled to tie yourself off on a log jam or found a perfect spot to pull up on the shore and wished you could tie off the boat quickly to a tree or bush. Would you like to be able to tie off your drift sock or minnow bucket in a variety of spots around your boat if only you had a cleat handy. Here is a simple tip that has applications you haven’t even thought of yet. I use these handy dandy rope cleats all the time and have tied them up in a variety of lengths to be available whenever needed.

Get yourself some twisted nylon rope. I use ¼ inch and 3/16 inch braided nylon for most applications, it is cheap to buy and easy to use. Cut it to the length you think you will need and then run the frayed ends of the rope over a Bic lighter to melt the rope ends and keep it from fraying. Be careful – that melted nylon is hot and can make a painful burn. Make sure you keep those curious grandkids away while you are burning the rope.

RopecleatIDA.jpg

Take your piece of rope and double it off and just tie an overhand loop knot in the two ends of the rope – you will end up with a big loop and you now have yourself a handy dandy rope cleat.

RopeCleat2IDA.jpg

Just take that loop, place it around whatever you want to tie off on and run the end back through the loop so it is attached to the tree, railing, whatever it is you’ve looped over.

RopeCleat4IDA.jpg

Now you can just slap a D ring on the end of the loop and it can be attached to whatever you are tying off with – anchor rope, minnow bucket, drift sock, use it to tie down a tarp, loop it around a tree or log on a logjam you are fishing and then leave it there for that next time you want to fish the same spot. Etc, etc, etc. I throw the rope cleats in one of my forward boat compartments and just fish one out when needed. I keep a few in the garage for when I am working on a house project and have been surprised how often I’ve used them. Make some – you will use them.

RopeCleat9IDA.jpg

Good fishing!!