• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solution to the odd cold and rain of MN's springs and summers

Scott M

Gosh was it cold Saturday, 36 degrees when I woke up with some light winds. Big rain drops fell in the mid afternoon and when we arrived at the access, it was snowing! Last night there was a frost warning. Just when you think summer is almost here, you are reminded that Minnesota can get cold in a hurry, especially on the opener.

When you think about it, it can get pretty cold in the mornings and evenings in the spring and summer. I fish the Minnesota river, and come about mid-July, it is going to get pretty chilly out there. Not to mention those rainy days.

Luckily for me, I decided last fall that it was time to get Arctic Armor. Huddled around the TV on Friday night, we watched the weather forecast and I didn't blink. I told my boat mates that we always dress for the weather. My buddy John told me, "well, that's easy for you to say, you've got Arctic Armor." I guess I just take it for granted. Slip on the hood on the ride in and out, sit back, and catch walleyes.

Minnesota can be an ice box in the fall and winter. But those of us that go outdoors frequently in spring and summer know that there are some cold and wet days even then.

Now is a good time to think about finally getting some Arctic Armor and not having to worry about staying warm, staying dry, and most importantly, coming home safe at the end of the day. As the Opening weekend tragedies showed us, it is better to have some floatation than none. Arctic Armor gives you that piece of mind, that should you fall in, you will stay afloat. This feature is priceless.

url2009opener.jpg

Arctic Armor kept me warm, happy, and dry during the 2009 Opener. Check out some Arctic Armor here to get ready for those cool spring and summer nights and be ready for fall hunts and first ice.

da_chise31, Well, ya know what they say in 'lower Bohemia' about the weather, don't cha? They say...."DON'T take off the longies till the LABOR DAY WEEKEND", that way your bottom NEVER gets cold!!! grin "We of the lower Bohemian Nationality" stayed home, tended the fires and went to bed early, we let the ROOKIES beat the opening waters to a froth and will come in and do the "clean-up" work. Have a GREAT week at work, and...stay WARM!! gringrinPhred52

Still one of the best purchases I’ve made is my Arctic Armor. I’ve been fishing basically 4-5 nights a week until about 11pm. These spring days when that sun hits the trees you know it. I throw on the AA and sit toasty warm.

What’s nice about the AA is that not only is it warm, it’s light so it’s no big deal to throw it on and wear it all night. Not only that but it has the added safety feature of being able to float you in the unfortunate circumstance of you falling overboard or capsizing.

Just this morning I listened to a guy on the radio recount a story of him and his buddy getting run over on ML lake this weekend. You just never know when the added feature of that floatation might be needed.

While it’s not a PFD, it gives me peace of mind having it on.

Looking back at some of my photos last year, I was wearing my coat well into June during the chilly nights.

I would do it Kato, I was like you at the expense of it. But once you have it and use it as much as this suit can be, it's well worth it. I've never had a jacket that is so warm in the winter but won't roast you out in the spring and fall.