• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyote Hunting

Havin' Fun

Yeah, that one might be a bit of a stretch. I guess I'm not a biologist but I suspect that there is some crossbreeding going on. I've seen so many mangy coyotes that divergently vary in size to a huge degree. I'm talking from 30-40 lbs. to over 100. Don't forget that many animals crossbreed in the wild to an astonishing amount. Trout are a fine example. Bowcuts, Brown/brook trout, etc. My point is that the gene pool needs cleaning!! Load 'em up!

Huskmin, Don't mean to change the subject about yote hunting but in an earlier post you called a trap a leg hold trap, they are not legholds, they are footholds. The animal rights call them legholds to make it sound more cruel, please don't help them out! Traps are designed to catch an animal by it's foot! Just trying to clear this up a bit!

Frankly, I don't think there are many people reading this thread that fits the discription of "metrosexual" fuzzy wuzzys. Predators do need to be controled for the benefit of many different things, ranching included. Whether someone decides to kill a coyote or watch it go about it's buisness is a matter of choice. I maybe hunting one species of game and happen to see another "huntable" animal and decide not to take it. I do hunt coyote but I don't feel as though I need to kill everyone I see. I hunt some of the areas in Wi. that were mentioned in previous posts, Gleason, Wausau, Antigo. Growing up as a kid, I never seen coyotes, turkeys, and oppossums in Wi.. The state 's turkey stocking has been very successful. With that there's been an increase in predators, coyote and fox mainly. I definitely think there's a corelation(sp?) between the turkeys and coyote. Other than a very few isolated instances where wolves killed cattle, the predators aren't a problem. Who's to say they wont be in the future? One never knows. I hunt for my own reasons as everyone else does. PS: Sayner is about 15-20 miles NE of Minoqua, and there's lots of fish in that area! Lots. grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 10-29-2003).]

Yeah, sorry I guess I needed to rant there for a second. Hunting is done differently by everyone and I didn't mean to preach to the choir on that one.
Interesting theory about turkey stocking. An "Ask the CO" thread might be pretty useful. I know I have a few theories of my own that might make me sound pretty whacko from time to time.

Contrary to the message posted by "can it be luck", there is not a single fish swimming the waters of Vilas county. Wait, I'm mistaken. There are two lakes that are full of fish, but, you have to hike through 17 miles of the thickest most tangled swamp you've ever seen in your life. Now, if you were to bribe me with a few pulls from the Jagermeister bottle, I may be inclined to tell you where these lakes are. As a side note to all who may search out these lakes, Chances R' has kept the doors open into the wee hours of the morning on occasion. You just need to take care of your bartender properly. HeHe

I do know of a rather unconventional form of coyote hunting. I hunted elk in northern New Mexico a few years back. My buddy and I glassed a couple decent bulls coming up into the same meadows before the season opened. So, the day before opener, we hiked about 4 1/2 hours up to the spot they were feeding. We took our rifles, a little food and water and our sleeping bags. We were set. We found a nice level spot to sleep about 1/4 mile downwind of the meadows they were using, and went to bed. About 2 AM, a dog down the street woke me up with it's stupid barking. It took me a few seconds to remember where exactly I was, and then they started. I had my gun loaded and up to my shoulder quicker than my buddy could get the flashlight turned on. For about 10 seconds, we were completely surrounded by barking, yelping yotes, and just as quickly, they were gone. Had Doug's Mickey Mouse flashlight been bright enough to catch one of those guys, I'm pretty sure I'd have been shooting. I realize they were just coyotes, but when they're 10 yards away going crazy, and they wake you up from a complete, total sleep, you don't always think rationally. I must have been serious about shooting one, because when I woke up a couple hours later, the safety was still off on my rifle.

Just a public service announcement to any trout guys out there. There are no trout in the San Juan river. Not even in the first couple miles below the lake, where it is c&r only. HeHeHe
Flatlander

Vilas County is probably "one" of the best countys for fishing in ALL of Wi.. Definitely in the top 5. The state record walleye is from High lake in Vilas at 18#s. When I head "up north" to fish, it's usually Vilas or Oneida countys. The whole Flambeau chain, minoqua chain, Big Arbor Vitae, St. Germain, Trout, and HUNDREDS of other lakes which are in Vilas County alone are some of the best this state has to offer! Drawbacks? Tourists. This area is the hub of activity for the tourists visiting "Gods Country". I lived in Rhinelander for a few years, just south of Minoqua in 1979-1981, I thought I was in heavan! Any other county mentioned might stand up to argument, but not Vilas. Vilas county probably contains the most lakes(hundreds) of any county in Wi.. Please don't tell people the fishing is "no good", unless done for selfish reasons. If any one asked me where to start to catch fish anywhere in Wi., I'd send them to Vilas County. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on the fishing opportunitys in this area. I forgot, this is a hunting forum. It's some of the best if not the best in the state! IMO, Mn. is where it's at for big, consistant, and aggressive fish. But in all honesty Vilas County is the best this state can offer!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 10-30-2003).]