• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My First Robin Hood

Here are some pics of my first robin hood. I bought my PSE (first bow) last July, and have shot only 5-6 months, although very heavily (2-5 days a week) for a bulk of that time.

This was taken this Sunday. A friend of mine (fishlakeman) who doesn't bow hunt, shot the first arrow (Maxima 350g carbon arrow) and placed it on the shoulder. I quickly drew back, put orange on orange and the rest was history.

It was really loud crack, and split the orange nock right down the center, and lodged over 2/3 of the way through the arrow before running out of force. As you can see it appears to have gone in at an angle from the pictures, however that was where it came to rest after the carbon split and absorbed the torque. The nock, exactly the same as the orange one in picture 3, was split perfectly down the middle.

I was pretty excited, and knew it was something special right when it happened. I can't even fathom the odds, with so many factors, and such fractional room for error.

0221.jpg

0211.jpg

0241.jpg

0251.jpg

Awesome stuff.. I did that to a guy during the world qualifiers a couple years back.. Its always fun to look at the guys whos arrow you toasted and smile and say.. Hey, nice shot I was aiming there too.. 8-)

Haha, except for in this case, it was my $12 arrow. Still worth every penny!

In your many travels and competitions have you seen that often dietz? I've been trying to find out exactly how rare it is, but I barely pulled a 'B' in physics, which was a while ago. Any idea?

Dan- unfortunately, its quite a bit more common now that it was years ago. With now days knocking systems, where the knock slips into a bushing its quite a bit easier(not saying its easy, just easier). You still have to hit it pretty near spot on, but if you do, it will blow the knock up and then follow the bushing even if its not a perfect bushing hit, it can follow it up.

about 20 years ago, most were aluminum arrows, and the knocking systems were quite a bit different. Arrows were aluminum and had a point on the knocking end, you then slid the knock which was a cone over the point of the arrow to make the back part of the arrow.. So, to robin hood then... it had to be a "Perfect" hit..

For the most part, I no longer aim at the same spot.. it gets quite expensive. I do have my orginal robin hood with the aluminum arrows.. I still have the one from the world qualifiers. I also have one that I got during a FITA that I got at 60 yards.

I still think your odds of getting a robin hood are slim.. but they are better now days with the arrows we are using than before.

There's a guy who shoots at our archery range who only shoot one spot targets and usually shoots about 8-10 arrows before he retrieves them. He's always trying to get robin hoods- he saves them in his basement. Last week he got one and said to me, "ya know what that is, Scott? That's my 182 robin hood." He's saved every one he's ever had- all 364 arrows! He's a good buddy of my brother's and my bro has seen them- it's not [PoorWordUsage]. Crazy...

I totally agree with you. He just likes stacking arrows, so he runs a bunch of them in there. Also, he likes refletching- which he does a lot of.

I think it's silly, but it seems to amuse him.

Deitz,

In the archery world is there a agreed upon definition of the term 'robin hood'?

Im just wondering how exacting it has to be, since in my case the arrow only was able to penetrate 3/4 of the carbon arrow, does that qualify?

I'm currently shooting at 65#, if I increased it to 70, 75 (mine only goes to 70) do you think it would have penetrated much further?

I've only connected two arrows end to end once, but that is enough. I've broken several knocks though.

The one I did didn't penetrate more than an inch past the nock, but it was in a straight line. My robin hood was over 4ft long.

I think to actually have a true "Robin Hood" you would have to shoot both arrows yourself in succession.

My oppinion as well. Your own arrows, first shot >>----> second shot >>>---->

If the first was your buddies, and the second was yours, then all you have is an expensive mistake.

A nice shot dont get me wrong, but an expensive mistake none the less.

Thanks Dietz. I am very proud, once I figure out how im going to hand it, it will be on the wall.

just nice to get insight from others that shoot.

I can't specifically recall the original movie/fable, but doesn't he shoot through another gentlemen's arrow, or is it his own?

That is the problem with shooting one spots! You hit arrows and robin hood arrows! To me it is a waste of an arrow and a waste of money!! But if ya don't mind buying new arrows more power to ya!! I personally haven't done it, but I shoot five spots so that i do not do it! It is kind of cool though that you actually aimed right at the arrow and nailed it!!

Nice shot Dan189. I haven't had one in a few years. My first and second came within 5 shots of each other. Both times with just one arrow in the target. I have one of them, I think the other is still at Archery Country in St Cloud. Both were carbons and went straight in and didn't split out the sides. Just thinking about it makes me miss my Hoyt Havoc even more!