• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Questions

Coach1310

Good day all. I just purchased a used Minn Kota trolling motor and I have some questions.

1. It is a 24 volt system. I plan on running about 20 feet of wire from the bow to the battery in the back for power. What gauge wire should I be using? And what kind of fuse/breaker system do you recommend?

2. Also, it currently doesn't have a plug as its previous owner just had it hard wired to a battery. Would you recommend this or a plug? If a plug, are they pretty much universal or are they model specific?

Thanks so much for any answers/information. Good luck on opener!

1. For a run that long you want 6 gauge wire. And probably a 60 amp breaker although that really depends on the motor.

2. The plugs are nice but not needed. They are universal, just get 24 volts to it and you're good to go.

Also don't run anything else off that system if its not 24volt, or you will wreck it. My dad burned up a radio last year.

If you connect it to the 24 Volt Output, that's correct

If you connect both leads to one battery it will work just fine.

marine_man

The best connectors around look for Anderson PowerPoles.

They make a version called the SB Series 50 amp disconnect that I use. work great and never melt or fail!

Wire, yeah, I would recommend 6 gauge if you are going 20 feet, how big of boat is it?

If its 24volt you are going to need two batreries to run it.

Maybe I'm an [PoorWordUsage], but I didn't know this. I HAVE to have two batteries to run it? or it is better off run with two batteries? Also, if I have to run it with two batteries, how should I connect.

For those that asked, my boat is 16 1/2 feet long, so I figured with 20 feet I should be plenty good. Thanks for the repsonses so far.

You will need two 12 volt batteries and connect them in series. Connect the negative of one battery to the motor, the positive of that battery to the negative of the other and then the positive of the second battery to the motor.

[note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. thanks!]

Thanks for the responses. Just one more question. I know some have stated not to run anything else with this power source, but it is possible if I just connect my locator, lights and pumps to ONE of the batteries, not necessarily the 24 volt system of the two batteries hooked together? I don't use the trolling motor all the time, everytime, so I have no problem sacrificing a little run time if that is what it takes. Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, that's possible, but not preferred. From time to time you can get interference on your locator from the trolling motor which gets frustrating pretty quick.

Why wouldn't you leave the accessories on the starting battery and let the two batteries for the trolling motor do it's own thing?

marine_man

Let me preface this by saying, as you know, I am out of my element with this topic.In regards to running accessories with my starting batter, I could do that. I just get paranoid about not having enough cranking power to start the motor and I thought it wasn't good to run other things off the starting battery. Is it pretty common to run accessories off the starting battery? Thanks for all the help Marine_Man!

Yes, it's pretty common; and unless you don't run your motor at all while you're out and about, and you're not running your livewell continuously, etc you should be just fine. Your large motor has a charging system on it (presumably - what do you have for a motor?) and that should do a fine job of keeping your starting battery charged enough to start your motor. If you run into problems it may be time to replace your starting battery or get a larger capacity starting battery, but that's only if you have issues (which you shouldn't).

marine_man

I have a 1990-1992(not exactly sure) 40 HP Johnson Tiller. I also have a brand new starting battery so that shouldn't be an issue. So, do you recommend putting the accessories on the starting and the other 2 just for the Minn Kota? Thanks again for all the help.