• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

98 Dodge transmission

My truck that I use to pull my toys with is giving me some issues.

First off last winter I had one of the quick connect fittings on the cooler started to leak so I had that replaced.

Today, I was pulling my boat and after I pulled the boat in the garage I had noticed little dribbles of tranny fluid on the ground. It appears that it is coming from the front of the tranny, somewhere close to the converter. Is this a warning sign? I was told by a unreliable person that the tranny could have burped up some fluid if it gets to hot.

BTW, 89,000 miles and have had everything serviced regularly.

Is that pretty common with this tranny? 98 ram 1500 318 . I have heard some horrific stories about the first generation(I think)dodges. Would that seal be between the tranny and converter or engine and converter?

Any opinions on getting it fixed or get rid of it? Its been great to me. The only problems I have really had were recall issues. The engine is mechanically sound, doesn't use any oil, suspension is great, doors might need to be replaced after next winter.

I owned a 98 Dodge with a 360 Magnum bought new. When it had 68,000 miles I lost the first of 5 - yes 5 transmissions in the next 30,000 miles. Dodge covered all of them under warrenty, but I was the one that suffered while waiting for repairs.

The last mechanic that worked on the truck said they were using the wrong pump, but wasn't sure it that was the real problem.

I traded that lemon for a '03 Hemi. It has been trouble free(knock on wood) after 85,000 miles towing my boat, camper, and other toys.

A local company purchased my '98 from the dealer with full knowledge of the tranny problems. They got 9,000 miles out of it before having more problems.

My buddy has a '98 he bought a month after I got mine and has 165,000 miles with no problems other than a fuel pump.