• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rookie needs help

benbosh

I was wondering what i should use for decoys this coming weekend/week (may 10-14). I have 2 hens and a jake. should i use 1 hen or both hens or just the jake or a jake and a hen or all 3 or none at all or see how the birds react and go from there? also i have located a hen and where she roosted but was alone. will a tom or a jake come around everyonce in a while to check her out and i should set up around there or should i be more mobile? and for calling ive been reading to go softer with the calling. i will be going out every night and morning til sunday to scout. any help would be really appreciated. thanks.

find where toms or jakes roost is your best bet. if you can watch them from a distance and see where they choose to fly down to and where they head early...if you can get a pattern u may be able to sneak in and intercept them oce your season starts. As far as decoys...sometimes they help and sometimes they hurt. If i am in a large field i usually use them, usually a jake and hen, but if I am in the woods i often go without. It also depends on how confident u r with you calling. I could ramble for pages...but its just my opinions and i am by no means the most successful hunter

The hens I think are nesting already. Might just leave the decoys at home. jakes and toms are just wondering around. Decoys might bring em in, but might chase them away. they are looking for easy lovin now.

==I used no call and no decoys and seen many walking right on by. it is just that time of year. Time to sit and watch them parade on by. I have seen lots of birds wondering from 10am to 2pm during the day even

Patterning the birds will give you the best oppotunity. I have been patterning a few Toms know and they have been in the same area at the same time. I don't think it will take much of any calling for them to come and investigate, as they have been henless each time, I have seen them. I just have to wait about 8 more days, hopefully they will still be there. To use decoys is a tough call, it all depending on the terrain you are hunting. I would try 2 hens, your not going to know unless you try. Good Luck.

I hunted early this week in 442 (5/5/09). The hens were NOT nesting. I saw more hens then toms, which made it tough. My pesonal opinion is use no decoys. Toms tend to hang up when they see the hen. they expect her to meet them half way. without a decoy the tom is left guessing where the hen is and needs to search a bit more to find her. However, I have decoys and if straight calling isn't working I won't hesitate to use them, usually day 3. My biggest advise, stay mobile. be willing to run, crawl, and stalk. Good hunting all!