• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a new gun & help

Canuck

I know wife will not agree that I need a new gun as I already have 31 long guns but a guy can't have too many.

I need ideas: (HELP)
The gun will be used for moose, We hunt from boats ALL the time and think a stainless would be the way to go. I have found a clip helpful in the past. I have seen the Browning with clip that attaches to a floor plate but do not know much about them, ideas. I would also like to get a much shorter 7mm than I hve now (Parker Hale 1200C).
Oh yes, I will hve to put glass on it to........

If anybody has sugguestions PLEASE I am open. I have until next fall but would like to get used to it ASAP.

Sorry I don't have any thoughts on your moose gun, just had to say Hey to a fellow Parker Hale shooter. Most of the time guys have never heard of em'. I've had a 06' for about 20 years now, darn fine weapon.

.300 Win Mag or a .338 are both very *range friendly* guns and have the power to drop any moose with a clean shot... neither one are a whole lot of fun to shoot continuosly at a target.

I no longer have a .338, the .300 I have I built myself .. I have no idea which direction to point you for a factory rifle.

For a scope I prefer adjustable 3x9... scopes too powerful are tough to get a moving (or still) target into at closer range (not all shots are 500 yards on large animals)

Rem 673 in 350 rem mag. Short,light, and will hit hard. If you reload even better. The only negative is not availabe in stainless, and has a laminated wood stock. It would still be a heck of a good choice.

Many elk and moose have been shot with a 270. Use good bullets such a Nosler Partitions, Barnes X bullets, Swift A-Frames, etc. I am partial to the Barnes bullets my self.

Bullet placement above all else is the key. A 270 bullet behind the shoulder and through the ribs will kill elk and moose dead all day long.

I prefer the 338 as there is a bit more mass should I hit the shoulder bones on the way in. A spooked elk can go a LONG way with a bullet in the vitals. This rifle I have shoots very well, and I do not mind the recoil.

I was looking at a Remington Model 7 in the new .300 ultra mag the other day, and it was one cute little package. Stainless steel and it was outfitted with a laminate thumbhole stock. It was in a Gander Mountain in the north end of the cities, I think in Columbia Heights.
The choice of scope they put on it wouldn't have been mine - but it was nifty. Just from the literature, looks like the .300 would have plenty of snort to down a bull.