• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky Lures and Dogs!!!

tyeeme

I wanted to share a story that happened to me on friday. I got to my cabin on island lake north of duluth, my kids noticed how high the water was. I told them to go and put a stick at the water level so we could check how much it came up before we left on sunday. I was unloading the truck when they came running back to me crying, we have a 3 year weimaraner named porter. My 6 year old daughter picked up a 10" swiveled musky lure which porter jumped up to grab. Well he got it stuck right through his nose, I ran down to the beach to see what was going on, he was trying to get it out yepling and rubbing it in the sand. I ran to the garage and grabbed a pair of linemans side cutters, when I got back to the beach he had buried a hook near his dew claw on his right paw. So here is a 80# dog that has muscles adrian peterson would be proud of with his head suck to his leg. Let me tell you the sound of kids and this dog screaming could be heard across the lake. Well to make a long story short I pulled the hook out of his leg and cut the barb and removed the one in his nose and he was fine. But looking back what if I wasnt there? Im 5'10" 210 a short fat guy that did all I could do to hold him down. And imagine if the kids would have tried to help him!! Ive always known fishing hooks could be dangerous, but i never thought this could happen. Keep your eyes open for things that float in that you cant control!! Sometimes life can sure be crazy!!!

Ditto that story !

When my wirehair was about 2 1/2 years old she was out In the yard when we heard "the sound" It was night and she found one of my Poe's giant jackpot top water lures,about 10 inches long..............

When we ran out and saw her front leg hooked with the front hook and the back treble was buried In her stomache.she was hobbling around making sounds I hope I never hear again ! we cut the front hook off with no problem and broke my sidecutters trying to cut the rear hooks.

we ended up at the vet a 10:00 pm

Wow, that sounds like quite an ordeal! Glad to hear the pooch and kids are okay. My lab grabbed at a rapala in my hand and got a hook in his nose just barely, could have been bad but makes you really pay attention.