• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tumor on eyes?

You guys are going beyond a little overboard with your comparisons.

Dog's and deer don't have lateral line's. Remember, these fish can feed on the DARKEST of nights without light...eye's aren't everything. You're telling me not to compare to humans, take your own advice. Just because you are so dependent on your eye's, doesn't mean a fish is.

Beyond the eye's that fish is very healthy and having no problem surviving, get past the eye problem and look at the rest of the fish. Nature take's care of itself.

If it was doing poorly, would it be that long or thick?

What if in the water that tissue floats or gets pushed back by movement and the fish can see just fine? Sure it looks odd, but so what?

Without knowing what that is, you're not doing the fishery or the fish this huge favor you think you are. No need to play god here, it's just fishing, again nature takes care of itself just fine.

After allowing the DNR to look it over, I'd bury it just the same. I never said I was trying to help or hurt the fishery, approaching my 22nd muskie season I'm not going to cry if I decide to keep 1 fish out of a system for something at the time I might guess could affect other fish in the system, I've released a lot of bizarre looking skies and every one I've caught, but none that looked like that one and hopefully never will. We have bigger issues than this fish, the purposefully killing or maiming of muskies on some waters, no easy answer there.

I dreamt it J and I released it, so I'd photo it and release it and send a picture into the DNR. I can't believe I had a dream and caught a similar fish, creepy, so I'd let it go based on like you said it being a healthy bodied one. I have taken a few nasty big headed pike, tiny body but that isn't the same because this fish is healthy other than it's physical appearance, I'm back on board JRed, approaching my 22nd opener and it would go against the grain to keep any muskie, how many days until it opens ? I hope the "large pike fisherman" aren't burning too many off already.

He didn't mention the resort name but he was encouraged to kill any muskies caught and the resort owner was all grins when he told the resort owner about the speared muskie found in the creek with the spear still in it. I can get more details later of this.

Sorry Merkman, I am 100% in favor of darkhouse spearing, sorry, both grandpa's and a few uncles and cousins dark house spear and I enjoy going with when I can to watch. Go fish the NNW corner of Miltona and plug your ears. Sorry about the spearing bit, I feel most spear fisherman are probably our most ethical law abiding people we have in fishing based on most get this sport passed on to them by family members and are taught the right way. It is big time tradition and it is not the reason for large pike numbers dwindling in lakes or muskie shortages or whatever. I'll go to bat with the darkhouse people anytime, it's great fun.

I hear ya and the battle spear people are under right now. A few bad eggs on Miltona if they are yelling the truth or not who knows. I bet most can agree when a darkhouse guy spears 3 22" pike for pickling that I really like about it. My relatives because of ice conditions didn't even get their darkhouses out this year. Told my cousin last night I think some think spearers are out there from first ice to the end of season harpooning away and that's not the case. Also, I'm always thankful when my reli's spear eelpout, carp, and dogfish. smile

A few bad eggs on Miltona if they are yelling the truth or not who knows.

Let's get them to stop.

The more we report this harassment the quicker it ends.

Most everyone carries a digital camera or cell phone camera nowa days.

Snap the shot.

If they are standing on their land... you know where they live.

If they are next to their truck.... get the license plate in the photo.

If they are on a boat get the boat registration number in the photo.

Heck some of the fancier phones have voice recorders on them nowadays.

In any regard we really need to work together to get things done.

Thanks for your comments about darkhouse spearers, it is good to see sportsmen can come together to make it a better fishery for all!!

Now enough about this... back to the topic of the tread.

I hear ya merk and it's tough to read the readers viewpoints in the outdoor news on spearing. Back to topic I would release that fish after much consideration, I think I was just a bit grossed out at first, I just hope it wasn't a result of mishandling, I see that too often. Good luck fishing everyone !

I'd release it too, musky hunter mag had a few articles in past issues about odd or deformed muskies caught and released. Nothing like the eyes here, but in the same context. Even had the same fish CPR'd twice. Probably back in last summers issues for reference