• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 F150 temperature control help

My outside temperature sensor recently went out. The outside temp either reads right on, off by a couple degrees or about 60-80 degrees warmer than it actually is outside. I have noticed that my climate control system has been wacky as well. It will only heat if I have it set at 90 and it seems like my AC isn't working properly. Back to my question, is my digital temperature control regulated by the outside temperature? I don't really need the external temperature, and plan on replacing it, but if this is causing my whole system to go crazy, I might have to replace it sooner. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

LakeDocktor

What I would recommend is to pull the codes from the Eatc head first. If this is an intermittent concern, you may want to wait until the problem happens, then within a day or so, pull the codes out. There is a self test procedure you can do yourself to retrieve codes in the eatc system.

Step one, key on engine off

step 2 on the eatc head, push the Off and Defrost buttons at the same time, let up and within 2 seconds push the Auto button, some of the lights will show up for 20 seconds, then it will display a code if there are any. "OO OO" is pass!

Fishing tech, I know where the sensor is and I know that it is bad.

Thanks 4wanderingeyes! I will try pulling the code. What happens if I get anything other than "pass"? What would my next step be? It doesn't seem like the problem is intermittent. It has been doing this since my sensor went out and has been doing it ever since.

Scott, I completed the steps from the manual that you sent to me. It looks like it didn't pull any codes as all the lights just lit up and stayed that way. It will work sometimes and others it has to be at 90 before it will heat. The AC seems like it isn't working and just blowing room temp air. Here is a picture of what came up after I completed the steps. Any suggestions?

SSPX0024.jpg

It sounds as though you may have a bad control head, when all of the lights light, it is entering the self test, but it doesnt finish it. At this point I think I would bring the truck in to have the dealer test the eatc system with their scan tool.

Thanks Scott, any idea on what a new EATC control head runs? Just curious, I have a full warranty with a $100 deductible, but would like to know before I bring it in. I think my tranny is going to so I would like to get everything done in one shot.

LakeDR, I have an 03 F150, with EATC, just this am the outside temp went to 108, and I didn't have any heat unless I put it on defrost. I unplugged the outside temp sensor and my heat worked as normal. So it appears if the outside temp is higher then what the temp setting on the controller is set at, it wont blow heat. Mine didn't have any codes in it either.

I haven't fixed it yet, but it looks like just a bad outside temp sensor will fix it. I hope