• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transmission cooler line leaking

I have a 2004 GMC seirra 1500 4x4, and today while getting my oil changed the shop informed me that I have a leaking transmission cooling line. This dealer shop said it would cost around $250 to replace the lines. Can replacing the lines be a DIY job???

I thought the same thing but didn't have the time on my 2005. I just had them done and bit the bullet. Better that then creating a new more expensive repair. Might be my last Chevy.

Same here, I have had more problems with this truck than any other truck I have owned and I am not hard on this truck at all. I believe GM really put some awful parts and engineering into their vehicles lately IMO.

I just did some on a newer chev suburban. After pulling the front bumper valance, right side front diff mount, Separated both the idler and pitman arm from the center link, they finally came out! That was to replace all three lines. There is a tool to release the spring clips that hold the lines in the fittings. You will need this tool to get the lines of of the transmission. The bottom line isn't to bad but the top line will be a bear if you aren't familiar with replacing them.

Otherwise there a piece of cake!

Not necessarily. If its one of the lines from the trans to the radiator/cooler then replace both. If it is the the line from the radiator to the cooler than replace that one. More often than not its the line that goes to the upper fitting on the radiator an that one goes to the transmission. Also more often than not its not the only line leaking.