• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First archery antelope hunt?

Jeff S

Heading to Montana in a couple of weeks to chase antelope with decoys. What should I be prepared for? Any tips? It's a guided hunt so that should tip the odds a little more in my favor. Thanks in advance.

I've never bowhunted for antelope but from reading in Bowhunter and other sources, your shots will be longer than the typical 15-25 yard whitetail shots, so practice out to 40 yards. A rangefinder would be good. Also, a lot of times they hunt antelope over waterholes, so maybe a good book or two in your bag would help for the long waits. Pack the sunscreen and waterbottles. Good luck! Let us know how you did.

I've been hunting antelope with friends before(I just never felt the urge to hunt them myself). 40 yards is a short shot for an antelope. They will often be very skittish and I've seen a lot of 50-60 yard shots(and yes they are very good shooters). It has been extremely dry in western North Dakota and Eastern Montana the last few years so finding water holes maybe a challenge. If you do find a waterhole somewhere by all means hunt it. Oh yeah... practice lots for those shots!!!