• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Benelli Montefeltro or Baretta AL391 Urika

buzzsaw

I am planing on buying a 20 guage in the next few weeks for Grouse/Pheasant hunting mainly and am strongly considering the Benelli Montefeltro... I also like the Baretta Urika... I want a gun that is light, but also very nice. If anybody has any feedback/opinions that they would like to share feel free.

'Saw,

Yes indeed, it's all about what fits you best. Benelli, Beretta, Browning and a few Remington's . . . are all quality guns. I'd go by 1) fit , feel and sight, 2) weight 3) gun construction/components & ease of cleaning and 4) price.

Have fun choosing and get a few opinions/advice from different retailers.

Buzz,

I have a 390 and a 391. I have also owned a super black eagle. The 391 is the best one out of the bunch by far. It is light, and fast. The narrower forearm is great and gives you good feel. The thing I like best is I can shoot the lightest trap loads all the way to the heaviest steel 3" and it ejects them all without missing a beat. Hope this helps. As many have said it all comes down to what fits and what you like.

I own a Montefeltro myself in a 12 gauge and i love it. As far as i know the 20 gauge montefeltro is one of the lightest 20 gauge shotguns on the market. I'm not real picky about brand i shoot thru mine it cycles even the lightest 7/8 loads by Federal whereas a browning or any other gas operated shotgun won't so it becomes a single shot. I also have a Benelli Nova and a 870 but I use the montefeltro the most. I like it because its light, short ( 24 inch barrel ) and comes up just right for me and like i said before it ejects the lightest loads to the biggest 3 inches without missing a beat. Not sure what the price is the Montefeltro cuz mine was a gift. But as far as i know that Baretta owns Benelli so they are both nice guns. Just my 2 cents hope you find what you are looking for. Also if you know anyone who has one of these guns ask to try out. Dont hurt to ask. Good luck ! Brian

I appreciate all the feedback! It really is coming down to decision time.... I've changed my mind on the final two... it is either going to be the Montefeltro or the new Beretta Teknys Gold..it's in the AL391 line and is a dressed up version of the Urika I guess.

I find myself in the same situation as buzzsaw here - I really like the fit, feel/balance, and price of the 391 better than the Monte, but I love the Benelli inertia action - smooth and FAST!

Nailz (or any ther 391 owners) - I have a couple questions that I'd like to hear from Beretta owners on:
1) Any problems jamming up on light loads (7/8oz, 1oz) when shooting clays, etc.?
2) How bad is the cleaning on a 391 really...some people complain terribly, some not at all. The truth please? smile.gif

Thanks,
Blaze

I picked up a 391 last fall. I haven't had any troubles with jamming using 1 oz trap loads, it seems to cycle well and really throws them out. As to the cleaning, I think they are a bit of a pain compared to an 11-87 or 1100. Once you go through it a couple of times it isn't so bad but it is not as straight forward as an 1100. But, the gun handles well and I wouldn't trade it just because of the tougher cleaning.

I have never had a problem with it not kicking a load. I reload and make some pretty light loads and they always kick out. I have never had any problem with it being dirty and jamming either. As far as cleaning I do the basic barrel, exterior and bolt cleaning, and then once a year I take it to my local gunsmith and let him take it completely down and clean it. It costs about $25 and takes care of any issues. I don't think I would have to do this, I think once you got used to it it would be pretty easy.