• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. Croix Hunting

fishface5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fishface,
I have hunted deer down around the area you are talking about. If you go out the back side of Pine city to the snake river landing, there are plenty of trails that go all over around the rivers there, another place is east of there right on the edge of the st. croix state park. All of these woods I am talking about are Chingewetana state forest I believe. As for what parts of it you can hunt, I do not know at that time of the year, but it is well posted with different information at a couple different locations down by the landing and I think there is also a DNR office down there. One VERY important thing to remember is alot of that land borders state park and I am not sure as to the regs for that area.

I've hunted grouse on the trails off the Snake River landing on the St. Croix, as described above. Never saw any birds, but that was some years ago, with no dog.

I did flush some pheasants right next to the river one day during deer season. Seemed like an odd place to find them, but there was good cover.

Hunting deer in this area was an abosolute nightmare for me......people everywhere.
After scouting it for a month, setting up stand areas, planning, etc.....opening morning, this one-who-thinks-I-am-silly setting up 15 yards away from me 5 minutes from shooting light (I'd been there a half hour, of course), cracking a soda open, rattling candy-bar wrappers, etc. Sat there for 20 minutes waiting for him to see me sitting in my chair in PLAIN SIGHT of him...thought he might eventually notice the blaze orange. He didn't, of course.

A nice place to walk in the woods during bird season.....nice scenery, probably short on birds compared to other places you could go on public land.

Thanks for your help! It is pretty country, but it's also popular! With that grouse report and the crowds... maybe I'll look into the Rum or somewhere, Although in this state it is tough to escape the crowds anywhere!!!!!!! We need a CRP public hunting program in this state!.