• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzleloader Question ??

TUMBLEWEED

I've harvested 2 deer using a .50 cal traditional style ML with a round ball and 90 gr. equiv. of pyrodex or clean shot. I have also taken a buck with a .54 cal. pistol using 50 gr. and a 240 gr sabot lead. Though I prefer the traditional round ball, both bullet styles work.

One thing to consider is the rate of twist for your barrel. Typically conical/sabot slugs shoot better with a faster twist (1 in 48" or less) as a slower (1 in 66") twist will not stabilize a conical/sabot.

Do some experimenting and chose a load/bullet combination you feel comfortable shooting.

Made my first smoke on Saturday!!

I was using patched round ball/90-95gr
Triple seven powder. Even with the primative
iron sights, I was able to print a 7 inch
group at 100 yds!! I will be throwing on a
set of peep sights and trying out those
new PowerBelt Sabots next trip out. I will
post the results.....

Powerbelt bullets seem to be the best for myself, with just 100 grns of pyrodex, (Knight 50 cal.) Groupings within 5 inches at 100 yds. If I would have known about the TC omega I think I would have bought that gun instead.

I have a Knight 50 cal. I'm dead on at 185 yards using the knight sabots(black) with the TC PTX 240 or 250gr with 100gr pyrodex. Experimentation is the key. I've found the TC sabots don't give as tight of a seal in my gun as the Knights, and aren't as accurate at long distances. I've also had trouble with the powerbelts not discarding the plastic sabot from the end when they're shot. Found slugs in the backstop with the plastic still attatched.
Buy a few different ones and see what works best in your gun.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

I tried the sabots, but had trouble running the second bullet down the barrel, swithced to the 295 grain power belts and now can cover 2 shots at 100 yards with a quarter, open sights, not too bad. 100 grains of pyrodex, no need for 150 as far as I can see.

The reason you had trouble running the 2nd down, is because of the dump left in the barrel from the powder. Running one swab before reloading would cure that. The tighter the seal with the sabots, the harder they go down. If I use the sabots from the TC slugs, they practically slide down by themselves, but not with the Knight sabots on the same bullet. I'm not sure, but to me, the tighter the seal, the more pressure & probably higher velocity.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!