• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warbler wannabes

MARINERMAGNUM

These guys think they are just as cool as Warblers-they may be right. We are being invaded by these "high dollar sparrows"

They sure look cuddly compared to the grubby little House Sparrows that sneak into my barn and manure on my clean tractor. mad

White Throat

3487723188_24b2d83b4e_o.jpg

3486906179_92c4a4dd90_o.jpg

it's so hard to get crisp images (for me anyways) of these little guys,, you done good here!!!

I can't get mine to get up off the ground and stop eating long enough to get a nice background. He did get it right, didn't he?

If you put a natural looking rock or mossy log where the sparrows are ground feeding and put seed on the ground just in front of the rock/log (between it and you) and lay still and prone with some camo fabric over you, you'll be able to get nice images of those sparrows without lawn in them. Some of them will hop up on the prop to get a bit better view before dropping to eat the seed (cracked corn is an excellent sparrow attractant, and cheap).

By placing the seed between the perch and you, you'll ensure the bird is facing the camera when it hops up on the perch. And if you can make sure the background is pretty distant and you are as close to the subject as possible, you'll have very nice backgrounds, too.

Great light, MM. I like the pose on that second image particularly.

Great pics MM. You can tweak all you want but they still look good to me. Nice to know the white-throateds are there because that usually means within a week or so they're here along with their little buddies, the white-crowned and Harris sparrows. Haven't missed seeing them as they come through for about 10 years now. grin And I hear ya about the house sparrow issue. I find one dead tree swallow with its brains pecked out in a nesting box this spring and it's all out war! mad

If you put a natural looking rock or mossy log where the sparrows are ground feeding and put seed on the ground just in front of the rock/log (between it and you) and lay still and prone with some camo fabric over you, you'll be able to get nice images of those sparrows without lawn in them. Some of them will hop up on the prop to get a bit better view before dropping to eat the seed (cracked corn is an excellent sparrow attractant, and cheap).

By placing the seed between the perch and you, you'll ensure the bird is facing the camera when it hops up on the perch. And if you can make sure the background is pretty distant and you are as close to the subject as possible, you'll have very nice backgrounds, too.

Perfect! Keep the guy who just moved in next door really wondering.