• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brit Span Problem

RoosterR

I have a 4 year old brittany spaniel that has 3 spots on her that are bare to the skin and lightly pink. One spot is about the size of a hand and other two are smaller. Noticed it about 2 months ago and went to the vet month and a half ago. He didnt know what it was and didnt think it was mange. She has had two revolution treatments since. My question is that the spots arent getting any better, no hair growing back, just wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Thanks for any info.

Hot spots? Also my GWP got these balding spots too and come summer they would always grow back in, then in Winter they would lose the hair. Could in be in an area where she sleeps? Hair getting wore down there in that spot?

Sounds like Hot Spots to me, treated with antibiotics. Your vet would give pill form and maybe a topical. Go to buy the blue colored topical liquid antibiotic in a pet section or the vet.

Could it be from licking? Some lick a spot raw from nervous or separation anxiety.

Or, I have a Springer that when younger had bare and thin spots, put him on a sensative skin dogfood and it grew in. He also grew out of it.

Hot spots appear bare, run a little, scab over and heal - growing hair in a few weeks.

There is a spot on each of her hips, and one on the back. Just wondering if it could still be Hot Spots. Also wondering what Hot Spots comes from. Anything that i can buy in store to treat it, or have to go to vet? What about sensative skin dog food?

Thanks again.

Rooster,

I think I've seen the blue liquid flush in the pet supply section but usually grab a bottle at the vet, no prescription. Otherwise I've used Tiple Bac or any antibiotic gel, Bactine is easier to use just spray it on. It could be hot spots hard to say but the bactine won't hurt any. They can show up anytime but mostly it seems when its humid. Sometimes it appears under collars but can be anywhere. First they feel rough like its scabbing under the fur then the fur falls off the spot. At that point its sometimes moist usually red and warm to touch. Next, they dye out, scab some, clear up and regrows fur. That could all take a couple weeks to months depending on weather, how fast the dog can heal and how much it licks it.

Is its fur flaky like dandruff? If so then it may be the sensative skin thing.

Wash it often with warm water and apply an antibiotic. See if fur starts to grow. Maybe wash anything is sleeps on, blanket or whatever. I hate those hot spots, generally look worse than they are but they can get out of hand. Had one blow up like a soft ball (rare) last year under a neck. Really looked bad when it was so rainy last fall but with proper care it all cleared up fine.

Good luck.

Leaddog,

She does have very flaky dandruff on her back. I am going to do what you say and think i can get a handle on this. I was just a little worried. Thank you very much for your info. I'm starting to understand this.

Thanks

Rooster, if it is hot spots then most likely it's something in her diet. My English Setter we found was allergic to flour. So any treats or food couldn't contain white or wheat flour. Also if they crop up again they will most likely crop up in the same spots on her hips and back. Lastly, I bought a pet trimmer to shave alittle bit around the spot so it could get air to heal itself. Looks unsightly, but it works to promote healing especially in the initial stages with the scab or sore.

Thanks for the reply MNHuntress. Just one more thought, she has been on same dog food and treats since she was a pup. The only thing is she is an outside dog and in the winters i used to put grass hay in her house, but this year i put oats straw in it. Could this have any effect on her?

Possibly, as I stated earlier my Wirehair would go bald on her sides every winter and then it would grow back in the spring/summer. Also flaky dandruff around the spot.

It was my English Setter that had hot spots so I've dealt with both. I guess the only way to tell is to go back to grass hay this winter again.

Rooster,

My sibs used to cough alot using straw bedding, gone to cedar chips this year and they didn't cough or weeze at all. Dry grass clippings are good puppy bedding. Pups can choke on chips.