• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Protrapper- Trapping Questions

Lunker

Hey there. I was wondering if you would answer a few of my questions I have about trapping. I am a hunter, and have a little experience trapping, but not much. What is the best way to skin/cure hides, or where could I find info on such stuff. Also, where do u sell all of oyur hides at. Thanks for anything you could tell me, or email me at [email protected] if that would be better.Thanks

Get a subscription to the Trapper and Predator Caller. I think it is still published by Krause Publications. You may be able to get a copy at a Shinders if you are in the Twin Cities area.

Each issue is full of how too articles. There is also a lot of ads for books on how to skin and dry your pelts.

Every month there is an article on the current state of the fur markets, and prognosis for the future.

Lunker,

As far as skinning hides, most animals are skinned cased. {fur inside out}. Beaver are skinned and streched oval. Badger are skinned open. Some are stretched fur side out, like fox, yotes, marten, etc.

Salt is a quick alternative to put on fresh skinned pelts. I skin mine and put them in the freezer to a later date to finish.

Best advice is get a video. There is one by Hal Sullivan. You can order it from Fur-Fish-Game or the Trapper And Preadtor Caller. They are published still. Available most places. Shinders, Fleet Farm.

I sell to a couple local buyers where I can sell green pelts witch are whole and not skinned or I will put up furs completley and send to an auction house in Canada.

If you are thinking of starting to trap, let me know on here, and I'll try to help ya out.