• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another couple Battery / Trolling Motor questions

GBPackerNut

Question

I have a couple more questions:

Running cables for both trolling motors.

I plan on hooking it up like the following diagram:

batterydiagram.jpg

The front motor is roughly 6 feet from the batteries.

The back motor is roughly 10 feet from the batteries.

Will high quality 8 gauge wire be enough? I have some really good stuff we use to use on high end car audio installs, pure copper rope lay, Oil and heat resistant.

I know they specify 60 Amp breaker, but I already have the 100 amp breakers, and usually the breakers are there to protect from a dead short.

Any problems with running this setup you see?

2 answers to this question

From what I could find the maximum amperage for 8 Ga wire is 73 amps. My concern is that the breakers will not protect your wiring and they will certainly not protect a motor that requires 60 amp breakers.

There is a HUGE difference between 100 amps and 60 amps.

What you need to consider is that the 40 amp difference in current protection could also pass through the Motor which has wiring much smaller than 8 Ga.

I would suggest buying the correct breakers. Or simply buying a inline 60 amp fuse which would be much cheaper.

Also I am not sure of the need for a breaker between the two batteries unless they are far apart. I would place one breaker or fuse on the plus lead of each motor and connect them directly or close to the battery as possible.

Well, lucky for me, I found a guy locally that works on MinnKota motors, his name is Bob (not trying to advertise for him but seems like a really nice guy here in West Fargo, if you google, "bobs" and the word "trolling motor" you will probably find him smile )

but he has the manuals, and maintenance info, and he said I could run 45 to 50 amps on fuses or circuit breakers and be fine. He said the 80# vector shouldnt pull any more than 40 Amps max @ 24volts. And the Terrova only pulls a little bit more for the autopilot and directional servo.

So I guess I am going to look for some fuses, hopefully they cost a little bit less. I really dont want to blow another 70 bucks!