• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leadcore question?

scaup

I am going to give leadcore a try this summer. Kinda kicking and screaming but what the heck....... I have the basics figured out by reading other posts. I basically can't figure what test to use. I will be trolling no deeper than 30 ft. I see that leadcore comes in 12-27lb test. There must be something I am missing because I can't figure out why I would need 27lb line but is 12 to light? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use #18, which is probably the most popular, but you can use #27 if you want. The sink rate for #27 will be a little different than the #18 (it will sink less because of the diameter), but with trial and error, you should be able to figure it out. I guess it comes down to a personal preference. I have never broken my #18 core yet, so I'm comfortable with that size and, after using it for so long, pretty much have all the sink rates, speeds, and depths figured out for it. I'm sure with #27, it wouldn't take long to figure out the differences. Good luck in whichever you choose. It is a very fun and challenging way to fish, and, once you have it down, is a very effective tool in your arsenal of tactics to go to when needed.

I have a couple 7ft med heavy with moderate action rods that I have been using the last couple of years for trolling with inline weights. They may be a little slow I am just going to see how it works. I think I will have to go up a size with the reels as well I curretnly use Daiwa Accudepth and Sealines but they are the 17's I would hope 27's would be big enough but if not I guess I need to know now rather than later. Thanks for the info.

Sorry gang I have been vacant for awhile, actually Ive been to lake Erie fishing my buns off, Well I fish the 15 or 18 it is more than enough, Ive never had afish break off of lead core line, it is actually stronger than you would imagine, also I use no knots, meaning this if you take a 4 ft piece of flourcarbon and tie a little knot on one end and force it in the end of the led core it will lock in the led core I think alot of guys use a small swivel to attach to the led core, I dont do that, once you get this down you will be impressed with the results you get from led core, have confidence in what your doing.

The rod should work just fine. The reel size is the difference, I started using a accudepth 47 to hold 100 yds 27# leadcore, plus another 100 yds of 14# fireline backing.

I have also started use the snap-on weights also, I can use the same trolling rods.