• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kinglets to Kestrels...

Catmendo

My Kestrels are back on the nest for another season. The more I look at the facial markings (stripes) and the spots on their feathers on these little beauties, the more they remind of the "Cheetah", even though it's a cat.

IMG_4660-1.png

IMG_4653-1.png

The more I watch these Ruby-crowned kinglets the more they impress me! They are relentless when it comes to foraging for tiny insects. Flying insects so small that I can't see actually see them but the kinglets makes short work out of them!

IMG_4263-1.jpg

IMG_4227-1.jpg

Look closely and you'll see the hint of red on top of the Kinglets head. They can open and close this patch of feathers at will...

IMG_4225-1.jpg

A male Yellow-rump Warbler.

IMG_4472-1.png

I've actually given up on trying to ever get a good shot of a Kestrel. You have accomplished what I probably never will. I just can't find the tame ones, like you have. I also agree, it does resemble a cheetah in a way.

Nice series.

Catman, you did yourself proud on those shots. Thanks for the info on the ruby crowned. I often wondered why some had more of a stripe than the others. It's amazind how fast they travel. Seems like they just got here.

Mike

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Excellent photos!!!! Are you using a blind, and what lens are you using?

A short while ago I purchased a new Canon 500mm 1:4, it's mounted on Canon's 50D.

Here's the deal on these Kestrels. Our home is located on 40 acers with plenty of open fields and natural grasslands. Approximately 250 yards behind our house sits a pound. Two years ago I put up a nesting box for Woodducks...take a guess on who decided to immediately stake their claim on it! wink As for a blind, absolutely! In fact since I no longer have any use for my portable Frabill shelter, I have now found a much more practicle use for it! gringringrin