• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

worried!

machohorn

Wifey bought our 11 m.o. lab a "Knuckle" on sunday, well he ate the whole thing, Now for the past 2 days he has the runs but he also has to work real hard at ir for any thing to come out, I am worried that something could be lodged. What should I do? and where would I take him? I live in Monticello. Thanks Rick

That happened everytime I gave anything similar to dogs that get no other beef products. A rawhide would run through that old Samoyed like water. Many dogfoods are chicken or lamb and dogs develop a sensetivity to beef (and all that beef is loaded with) due to the lack of it in their diet. I'm not recommending adding beef to the diet rather instead limit it when possible. As long as the dog seems otherwise fine, drinking water, running though it may not eat much I wouldn't be to concerned. You might try feeding it well cooked rice with chicken broth to flavor. It digests easy and will firm up the stool. But, if he doesn't get normal in a another day or so you might get him scoped.

Annandale has been accommodating when needed at short notice for me, open Sats too. Still think Cindy at Norwood/YA is the best vet in the state!

Good luck. It'll likely all work out. Seen dogs eat lots of stuff that all passed.

A couple gel tabs of cod liver oil couldn't hurt either. But if he gets lethargic bring him in. Sometimes the intestines can twist after gorging, think that happens more (though very rare) in active dogs. He's young so it'll all likely pass.

As for the rice...most premium foods are rice base. Corn is useless, just filler, passes undigested. Rice is an easily digested simple (incomplete) protein. For people rice is often mixed with beans as a complimentary protein. My dogs get supplemented with rice/meat (deer or beaver)/eggs all boiled together. About a 1/2 cup of mix on top of premium dogfood (NutriSource.)

Rice is an easily digested food, high in carbohydrates (energy). Our vet recommeded a rice/lean hamburger mix when our lab had digestive issues. Since the rice is so easily digested, it can help settle the digestive system down, where other foods would continue to irritate it.

White rice is mostly carbohydrates, while brown rice has a small amount of protein.

As long as he is passing something and not vomiting it's probably not an intestinal block, but only a vet can tell you for sure. In you shoes I'd probably wait it out, but if there was vomiting I'd head strait in. Intestinal blocks will kill a dog in short order at worst and cost big $ to surgically resolve at best.

He's in good spirits, plenty of energy but still has the runs and works at it. I gave him rice with chix broth last night and this morning. I will see if he;s any better when I get home, If he still is having troubles I will take him in, This is day 3

Partial obstructions cause diaherra. It is the only form of stool able to get around the obstruction. If he is struggling to get this out and especially if it does not seem to be a reasonable amount vs. his food intake, get him to a vet.

Obstructions can bring a healthy dog down. They are nothing to mess with or take a wait and see approach. At the very least a cal to your vet to get his take on duration to wait and signs you should be watching for as opposed to a wait and see approach and adjustiong his diet which can exaserbate the diarreha.

Good Luck!

Ken

I could not agree agree more with Labs. While he may be totally fine an obstruction is nothing you want to wait and see what happens.

Quote:
Clinical signs of small-intestinal obstruction may include lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abdominal distention, fever or subnormal body temperature, dehydration, and shock. Gaseous bowel distention develops within the initial 12-35 hr after obstruction and is followed by the loss of fluid into the intestinal lumen. Without treatment, death due to hypovolemia ensues within 3-4 days.

Griz got his x-rays last night, clean as a whistle!, but he might have got a lil bug/virus from it, he is in antobiotics now and a rice/ chix broth diet for 4 days. He should be fine although he has lost about 5 pounds.

Great news! Glad that all of us that said to wait and see didn't give you bad advice. Always remember these are just peoples opinions - always do what you think is best. You know and can see the dog. Think you handled it well.

Other than a developed sensetivity to beef, I've also seen dogs develop similar problems handling high fat and protein foods. The old Springer is fine on Senior food but if she gets into some Adult she goes like a goose. Keep her diet lean and she's fine.

Good job.