Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishin58

Spring Perch

8 posts in this topic

How long do they stay up in the shallows after the ice goes off? Also, are they done spawning under the ice or after the ice is out or is there a specific temp?

I would say until about the time the walleyes start to move up in the shallows. Then they have to high tail it out of there or they will be lunch meat! They may still stay shallow but they are moving into the cover around that time, they wont be as free roaming on the flats. Good luck.

Fishin58 I was wondering the same thing..I would guess about the same body of water as well.. grin I think we are going to hit the big lake and do some searching this weekend.

That is what I am looking to do also, I have never fished for perch early, so I am looking to give it a try.

It will be my first time out there chasing the ice out perch as well..HH what should a guy be looking for?

Look for the 9 foot depths and if you can find some rocks and few cabbage strands your in. Last year on opener with the late ice out it was nuts you didnt know if it was a walleye or perch. Shiners or fat heads.

Not good!! We tried our winter spots and then tried more shallow also. Never had a bite!! Did get accused of Wally fishing! I think some people do not know you can fish for other species besides the magical walleye.