• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reels

TravP

I'm looking for suggestions for a reel for a 6'6" ML walleye rod. Any suggestins besides shimano since they dont make the 1500 anymore? I'm looking to stay in the $50 range.

Thanks, TravP

I have a Pfluger Trion on my Triumph rod.. i find it to be a great reel at a cheap price.. hasn't given me any problems at all.. only thing wrong with mine is i have no back reel because i was cleaning it one day and the spring shot off and i lost it.. DOH!.. not that i ever back reel anyways

Abu Garcia Cardinal 300. I am not sure if the C301 or C302 would be pretty close to the 1500 in size. They are $45. Six bearings and one roller bearing make the reel pretty smooth. I have a few Cardinals and I have been fairly impressed with all of them.

Cabela's has Quantum Catalyst PTi's for sale $55 (half the regular price of $110). I don't have any experience with this reel but it has eight ball bearings. I would imagine it is pretty smooth.

Pflueger President for that price. They're usually $50 on the money and sometimes you can find em for 40 or 45 on sale. Love those reels for the somewhat lighter uses. SUPER smoooth, great drag, and the reel just fits into my hand nicely. Check em out!

Pflueger President for that price. They're usually $50 on the money and sometimes you can find em for 40 or 45 on sale. Love those reels for the somewhat lighter uses. SUPER smoooth, great drag, and the reel just fits into my hand nicely. Check em out!

Another vote for the Pflueger in that price range.

I have 2 medium walleye rods, one with a Diawa XiA, and one with a 300 Cardinal. Both great reels in that price range. If I had to choose one I would go with the Diawa. They retail at 54.99 but someone usually has them for under $50.

Steve

I know people who have these reels and really like them. maybe you did get a bad one. Diawa makes some reels close to this price range .

The Cabela's reels are nice. A friend of mine has two of them , no problems.

110% agree i have 3 Presidents reels 1 Supreme and one Trion love them all never once had any problems with them.

I know what you mean about the Shimanos. I got a 6'8" walleye jigging rod and when I put any of my 2500 or 1000 series Shimanos it did not balance right. One to big, one to small. So I went with a Pflueger Supreme XT in the 30 size. I believe its perfect in size, and has an amazing drag, I would compare it to a 1500 Shimano as far as size. Another option would be a Daiwa in a 2000 size, the Exceller seems real nice for the price.

I know what you mean about the Shimanos. I got a 6'8" walleye jigging rod and when I put any of my 2500 or 1000 series Shimanos it did not balance right. One to big, one to small. So I went with a Pflueger Supreme XT in the 30 size. I believe its perfect in size, and has an amazing drag, I would compare it to a 1500 Shimano as far as size. Another option would be a Daiwa in a 2000 size, the Exceller seems real nice for the price.

I whole heartedly agree that the Pflueger Supreme's are primetime for the money and would suggest that one any day unless you want to jump up to a higher end Shimano (also love those!). However, I was trying to think of his $50 price cutoff he had mentioned before. I can't remember if I got the 25 or 30 size reel, but thats all a matter of preference.

i wont buy another shimano. Got 4 and 2 are busted with not a whole lot of use. All 4 are sedona's

Really? I've had lots of shimanos and not one has failed me, including the sedonas. I've had no luck with flueger. Every reel from them I've tried has ended up crapping out, but lots of people like them. I guess it just must be whatever batch you get stuck with.

I really like the Pflueger President or the Cabelas Tournament ZX (made by Diawa) I recommend the Cabelas Tournament ZX I have three and they are sharp looking in white!

In case anyone is interested in these I noticed cabelas has them in the bargain cave online.

Cabela's Tournament ZX Spinning Reel Orig $69.99 marked down to $49.99

I would buy one but I own way to many reels as is.

The Gander Mtn 10 bearing GST Tournament reel in a 35, 30, or 25 class is a super reel.

Totally agree with you Ed. I picked up a couple of the 25's for my panfish rods and have been quite impressed with these little reels. I'm just glad I got them before they bumped the price up $10. Still worth the $50 price tag. I think they are manufactured by the same company that manufactures Pflueger. I'd like a couple of the 30's for my walleye rods, but I came across a "deal to good to pass up" on a couple Sedona reels recently.