Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing 101

Camper Depreciation??

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering how fast campers typically depreciate. We are looking at a used '08 camper that is only $2,000 less than new. We can't find any other used campers with the floor plan we like. A new one is only $2,000 more. Is it worth the savings if we plan on selling it in 3-4 years. I feel that both units will be worth the same in 3 years so I am better off buying the used. Any other considerations to think about other than there is no warranty on used which doesn't concern me.

From what I have experienced they don't depreciate that quickly. For 2000 I would buy the new one for the waranty. One major item goes bad and it will pay for itself. I would try and negotiate on the used one to get it for less than they are asking first though.

Something to consider is sales tax. If you buy new, you will pay it. Not sure about used. You might be asked for the value such as with a boat trailer. Don't know if you need to prove the value or not.

Always fun to buy new, but if you can save some cash you may have less buyers remorse the day after.

Final decision should be made by your spouse. Doesn't hurt to stay on the good side smile

most recreational vehicles have very little depreciation from what i've noticed

Are you serious? Doesn't seem that way to me. Just look at all the bargains out there.

That is the economy, they normally hold value fairly well.

I went with the used. Doesn't seem to pay looking at the prices of used campers. Once they hit 3+ years they are basically all evenly priced. Don't think I would have ever gotten the $2,000 back out of it unless I end up having warranty issues.

Originally Posted By: itchmesir

Are you serious? Doesn't seem that way to me. Just look at all the bargains out there.

I went with the used. Doesn't seem to pay looking at the prices of used campers. Once they hit 3+ years they are basically all evenly priced. Don't think I would have ever gotten the $2,000 back out of it unless I end up having warranty issues.

Congrats! Do you have a photo you can post?