• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My daughter found this rather large rock that we think is an agate but if it is, it is the biggest one I've ever seen. It weighs about 28 pounds and is close to the size of a volleyball.

We are not rock savvy so any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

ccarlson

agate001.jpg

Kind of looks like some areas at least are Agatized...partial Agatizing tends to run a lot bigger...looks a little Flinty too...though I haven't seen red flint...

It would help if you took a pictures with some water or light oil on it...

If it is all or substantially Agate, you have quite a find there...

Like I said, we're not too rock savvy so I appreciate the help. I do think, like you said, it is at least partially agate. The reddish parts have that soft feel of an agate and it is somewhat marbelized with quartz like layers.

So, we'll clean it up and put some oil on it. What kind of oil do you use?

Then I'll post some more pictures.

Where do we take something like this to get it checked out?

Thanks,

ccarlson

It sure looks like agate type material, chert and quartz. I'd take it to a Rock Shop and have someone look at it. There are a couple up the north Shore. There might be a rock and mineral club or rockhound or geology club in your area, that might be a nice place to start.

Mineral oil is a good choice to use but you should be able to just soak it in water and give it a good scrubbing in a bucket. You should be able to see any agate when it's wet.

I have found rocks like this and like you was not sure. All I can add to this is that when I cracked them open they were for sure not agate's. But like I said I am just going by your picture but it looks a lot like the ones I have found.

Yeah, mineral oil is good or any clear oil, looks like you may have some baby oil around, which is mineral oil with added fragrance...

Let someone look at it, but don't part with it unless you know what you got...it doesn't have the desirable white rings, but it is huge for an Agate...

I'm not sure if you have ever been to Beaver Bay (about an hour north of Duluth on the north shore) but its a rock shop and they have agates, petrified wood, etc. You name it they have it and they travel all over to find and learn more about the stuff. If you type in Beaver Bay Agate Shop on any search engine you will find them. Then maybe you can learn more about it...