Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inthehollow

new furnace

7 posts in this topic

My son is an HVAC technician, and he likes RUUD the best. He says a lot of the furnaces have too much electronics on them, which are prone to failure. He says the RUUD furnaces are relatively simple and reliable.

Well I can tell you wich one not to use don't but a goodman furnace I installed mine four years ago the heat exchanger went out this winter when it was -35 had to wait 5 days for a new one then woke up one morning with the co detecter going off in the basement at 5 am the two middle burners were burning outside of the tube causeing it to produce carbonmonoxcide. So in four years it has tried to kill me many times. mad

4 years on a heat exchanger? That is horrible! It seems like a lot of HVAC guys I talk to say that if they were installing a new furnace in their own house, most would not install the high effiency ones. They would stick to the basic 80% furnaces as they less prone to having problems. But everyone has their own liking. I believe there is actually very few companies that make furnaces, they just put lots of different names on them. I know where I get appliance parts, they have one on the floor and it has a space to put a brand tag that says "place brand here."

sounds pretty weird, lifetime heat exchanger warranty correct? Goodman manufactures more units than any other company per year as far I have heard. They also sell their same units for others to put their name on like bear slayer is saying. Every one has their issues. Trane/ Amana are 2 other good names.

Being factory trained from Trane (That's fun to say), I can say Trane makes a good unit. However, you pay for the quality and sometimes parts arn't so easy to get.

I installed a Heil in my house last year. Problem free, parts are redily available, and affordable. Not stupid cheap but not a wallet buster, either.

Legal disclaimer- I'm Trane factory trained on industrial AC units and large industrial chillers. Not home heating units.

I put a York in three years ago, still works fine. It is a two stage, 94% efficent. It runs at a lower BTU setting unless it calls for more heat, than it kicks into high.