• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best cranks for walleye

What's your favorite crank for walleye? Model/size/color.

I'm going to make a point to fish with cranks this year and wanted to see which ones you prefer. I have a pretty good assortment, but need to know where to start. Right now, my favorite is a purple perch husky jerk. Not really a crank, but I've caught a lot of walleye on it. It will probably be the first bait on my line opening morning.

I try to match whatever the walleyes are chasing. Early in the year, I will use a crank that looks like a shiner minnow and about the same size as one. Later, as the walleyes move deeper, I will switch to a deep diving model, usually in a perch or natural minnow color. The lakes I fish in are usually pretty clear, so I lean towards the natural finishes.

Some of my favorites:

Rapala:

11 & 13 floaters

11 jointed

#12 & 14 Husky jerk-baits

#5 & 7 Shad raps(deep & shallow)

#12 X Rap

Rattlin Rogues:

4 1/2" Shallow Floaters

Super Rogues

Bomber:

Long A's 3 1/2", 5 1/4" and 7"+ late fall.

Storm:

Thundersticks

Deep thundersticks

Thunderstick Jr

Salmo:

Minnow 9cm

Whitefish

Hornet

There's a short list.

My favorite cranks are Reef Runners or Little Rippers, because of the crazy names they have for their colors. And the best day of fishing for BIG walleyes I ever had came on Metallic Watermelon Reef Runners.

Like all cranks, these have their time and place where they excel, and at other times and places they don't even see the water .... lots of times I don't even bring them in the boat with me. There's other cranks I use a lot more than these, but these are my favorites.

shad raps - natural colors for clear water, brighter for dark or stained water

husky jerk-baits

pretty much all I ever use, and I do pretty well with them.

I think the location and the presentation matter more than style or color

You are right on here Steve. The list could be endless.

Here are a few of my favorites. This would be a good starting point for someone just starting to purchase cranks.

Shad raps, husky jerk-baits, floating raps, salmos.

Colors - perch, gold/black, silver/blue silver/chart. rainbow, firetiger, clown, purple perch.

"FRENZY DIVERS".... "HOT-N-TOTS".... "REEF RUNNERS".... "COTTON CORDEL" SILVER-n- BLACK Diver.... "THUNDERSTICKS" It depends on water depth,vegetation for snag ups,sand,rocks, time of year, slow trolling, medium trolling, power rippin' the crankbait.... Like the "HOT-n- TOT" some will have an adjustable lip for depth diving, and action change....

I think I may have a new favorite. I've never tried them for targeting walleyes, but when using them for crappies this spring I caught quite a few bonus 'eyes. Gotta see how they work before I give it up, although it's already been mentioned in the thread.

For me Salmo Hornets or the Salmo Bullheads cover a wide range of walleye patterns and produce very well. They come in sizes ranging from the tiny #3 to the #6 in floating as well as sinking models.

Finding the key color patterns for your waters is key and then tune in the action you need and apply that to the characteristics offered in lure specific models.

A Hornet has a unique wobble, as does a Rapala, or a Reef Runner, the actions may range from aggressive or subdued. Action is often the first consideration, then the running depth and color.

A crank is very versatile, apply the tool to the application desired, there are nearly endless options.

If I had to pick one to cover the most situations it would be a #5 Salmo Hornet, very versitle crank IMO.

Others that I often reach for are Shad Raps, Tail Dancers, Shallow Shad Raps, Minnow Raps, Salmo Minnows, Hornets, and Bullheads.