• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poll: Would you go to El Salto next week...

brknrn

...Even with the swine flu outbreak?

I have a trip booked for May 6th-10th. I just hung up with Billy Chapman and he says the fishing has been unbelievable with many 8's 9's and 10's. According to US Airways I have two options with my plane tickets:

-Reschedule the trip for anytime within the next 14 days.

-Change destination and apply the amount I paid to the new fair. This trip must occur within 7 days of original trip.

No Refunds! No Travel Vouchures!

We can't leave work anytime in the near future.

Would you still go?

Would you still go?

If you don't go, can I have your ticket? grin

Consider, and then verify these numbers because I'm just relaying news that I've heard.

Just over 1000 people in Mexico have the Swine Flu and 103 have died at last count. There are tens of millions of people living in Mexico City alone. The percentage of contraction is low.

The flu is already in America - not MN - but America.

Thousands of Americans die each year from Influenza (not the Swine Flu) and flu like symptoms already.

There are 41 drownings each year in a persons own toilet....I will still drink to levels of stupidity. wink

I would go - just bring some masks. gringrin

As a pharmacist I say go for it. Call your doctor and ask him to give you a prescription for tamiflu, and let him know the circumstances. It can be used to prevent or treat the flu and it has been proven effective against swine flu. I would also go on the CDC HSOforum and look at the food and water recomendations for travel in that area, and take them seriously. It would be bottled water only for me, no food from any street vendors, and stay away from sick people.

Expect the airlines to change their stance on refunds soon, if not already, even today. Many already have. I wouldnt make definite plans just yet, but watch to see how this plays out over the next couple days.

As a pharmacist I say go for it. Call your doctor and ask him to give you a prescription for tamiflu, and let him know the circumstances. It can be used to prevent or treat the flu and it has been proven effective against swine flu. I would also go on the CDC HSOforum and look at the food and water recomendations for travel in that area, and take them seriously. It would be bottled water only for me, no food from any street vendors, and stay away from sick people.

I dont want this to sound sarcastic in the slightest.. but just when I think MF has peaked and cant get any better..I see a post like this.. We have our own resident pharmacist...

Dude, I say go.. if the doc says your good.. your good.. However if you come back without picts.. I will edit every post you make from here to eternity!!!

I think 686 gave you great advice. Get the meds, check the CDC HSOforum and GO! What is the route you are flying, as in US Airways to PHX and then ? Are you evening going through Mex City or any of the related "hotspots"? Hell, I am going to Manaus next Feb for peacock bass, taking yellow fever shots, malaria pills, hepatitis vacinations,, Life is to be lived. Catch a hog and take lots of pictures. Most of all enjoy.

I wouldn't be so worried about the flu itself, but I'd be worried about how things are working in terms of daily life down there. (Business and school closings plus empty streets)

What happens if this thing escalates while you're out fishing for a week and then you head to the Mazatlan airport only to find out it's been closed to international travel???

As was noted earlier, the actual rate of contraction is INCREDIBLY low...at this point, I'd bet that you're much more likely to die on the ride from the airport to the lake than you are from contracting the flu. And you'll probably come down with a little Montezuma's Revenge anyways (I just got back from Guatemala...let me tell you about it), so what's a little "extra"?