• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I got my "Halloween buck " mount back

nicely done, but one quick question. i have noticed a lot of people have got their mounts back. is it odd the taxidermist won't be starting mine till may? i mean, cripes, i shot it bow opener. by the way, he mounts all game by himself. all birds, mammals, all fish. he is doing 155 shoulder mounts this year. by himself. very good at it too. any thoughts?

I would assume the 155 shoulder mounts but like you said Vister, shot bow opener so I'm not sure. Sounds like you may have brought it to Dewey's Taxidermy. Maybe there's a step in the process where he's trying to do many at a time ? Not sure. My brother in law and his dad both took 160 class 10 pointers opening of bow season and they both said it will be awhile yet so I'm not clear as to why it takes so long other than the process and having tons to mount.

nicely done, but one quick question. i have noticed a lot of people have got their mounts back. is it odd the taxidermist won't be starting mine till may? i mean, cripes, i shot it bow opener. by the way, he mounts all game by himself. all birds, mammals, all fish. he is doing 155 shoulder mounts this year. by himself. very good at it too. any thoughts?

I don't know but if you know how to do it as an individual, you would get it done with in 1 1/2 months after the tanning process is done or even shorter. I shot a decent buck two years ago and sent it in to a taxidermist a few weeks after it was in the freezer. The guy usually does his work with in 8-12 months and then I called him after 14 months had gone by and he said that they just started mine and was behind, I just got it a few days ago, so it was over 1 1/2 years. I guess it depends how busy they are and 155 shoulder mounts is a lot! at least to me.

Good taxidermists who've been at it awhile & built up a reputation are often out a year or more from what I've heard. As long as he's still in business & some people are getting mounts back from him I'd have no worries.

yep, dewey is the guy in charge MB. have you ever taken anything to him, or seen something of his? what did ya think? i think the reason for the slower turn around is he works on a particular species at a time, doing all the steps at one time. must make everything more efficient. he also called me yesterday morning, and my 30" walleye is done. can't wait to see that!

but with the long wait, i have also had plenty of time in deciding how i want the mount to be. decided on the full sneak. kinda looks like how i shot him.

I would be more afraid of the guy who gets it back to you quickly. He is either spitting them out with no regard to quality or he has no work because he's not very good. A lot of guys ship their capes to a tanner, so even if you shot your buck in September, it may have sat in his freezer until December when he could ship it with the rest of his capes. Then it may take a few months to get back from the tanner, then if your cape is on the bottom of the pile, it may take a few more months before he gets to yours. Big thing is pay and pick up as soon as it's done and he'll be more likely to get yours done faster next time.

DaveT hit it on the head. Backlog for a taxidermist is usually a good thing. It means many people trust them with their personal trophies. Frankly taxidermists who have quick turn arounds generally make me pretty cautious. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good taxidermists who have quick turnarounds. Do your homework and look at alot of mounts.

The mount above looks very nice by the way. Congratulations. Getting the mount hung up is almost as exciting as the day you shot the buck. (I said almost)

Right on Vister, Dewey is the man and I have seen thousands of his mounts, he does really care about the customer, he mounted a honker for me a few years back and has done dozens of mounts for my friends and family, he barely pushes his business at all and is swamped yearly because of the quality of work, word spreads, my cousin got his walleye back from him awhile back now and it looked excellent, 31 incher. You know where he lives, couple years ago I drove that minimum maintenance road often to short cut to highway ten, there was a major trophy buck I would see almost every evening on that gravel, I always wondered if Dewey got him with a bow and arrow or not, he would know what buck I was talking about, ask him, but then again there's a dandy around there every year.

Ive had rick do my mounts also, Im especially am imprssed with his work on waterfowl. I had a green wing done, and my buddies have had buffelheads, mallards, and woodies done by him. Nice work, and your mounts are no exception. They look amazing.

If he send shis capes to Pepi in California, that tannery takes many months but they do an awesome job on the cape.

many commercial tanneries finish their capes at different times.

Carolina Fur dressing is another that takes a bit longer than many others.