• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat leak question

I have an older 19.5 foot aluminum boat (Bluefin Spectrum) with an OMC I/O. When I took it out the other day I noticed a small leak somewhere behind the motor. I can’t see exactly where it's coming in, but it looks to be where the outdrive and hull meet. I'm guessing the gasket is dried out and needs replacing.

Does that sound like a reasonable assumption, or could this be something else. It looks like its pretty simple to pull off the outdrive, but I haven't done it before so I'm looking for any advice or things to watch out for. Also is there other maintenance that I should do when I have it off.

Thanks

I would be very surprised if the transom seal was leaking. You need to get back there and find out a little more. Does it doing just sitting in the water or only when its running, etc. Could be anything from the u-joint bellows to 1 of the elbows or water intake line.

I was looking at what it would take to remove the outdrive, and I'm changing my mind about it looking simple.

The issue would be that you'd have to remove more than the outdrive - that's pretty straight forward. Removing the rest of the parts that bolt between the transom would be a major undertaking.

marine_man

Sam, the last three times that I've had excess water in the bilge area, it was due to a loose or broken hose to the livewell. real easy fix. hope your leak doesn't keep you off the water!