• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Savage Slug Warrior Shotgun

Does anybody know anything about these, or better yet have one? I'm leaning towards a shotgun dedicated to slug hunting for stand purposes that I'd scope & would reach out & touch them with no problem at say 150 yards. It seems like this could fit the bill, but am looking for some feedback.

I have an 870 Remington with a smooth bore slug barrel that shoots well, but it seems like as much as a scope & canterlievered mount cost, I'd be money ahead to just get a different gun. It's a bolt action, which would add a bit of reliability, plus some accuracy I would think.

I had one for a year and sold it. I got one because I liked the whole concept of the bolt action for better accuracy like you. I guess the best way to explain it with the Savage is you are getting what you pay for, nothing more. Maybe there are others out there that have one that like it, but that was my least favorite gun I have ever purchased. Look up reviews.

My opinion is I would only go bolt action again if it was a Browning ABolt or a Tar Hunt. Those are proven over 100-200 yard guns. But really expensive guns as in starting in the $1400 range for a rifled barrel for the Abolt (if you can find one) and more for the Tar Hunt.

With the right ammo, practice and a rifled barrel on a pump or semiauto you can achieve the accruacy you want (and have more shells in the gun).

What is your price range? There might be better options for the money you are looking to spend.

I bought a rifled cantalever barrel for my 870 and love it. I put a nikon 1.5-4 on for a scope, shooting the Remington copper solids and get 1.5-2" groups at 150 yds. I quess as far as reliability of the pump to the bolt, I'll take my 870 any day. It's the same gun I use for ducks,pheasants, and turkey. Just change the barrel out, and your ready to hunt, and being you've been hunting with it already you know how it handels and what to expect. I do shoot mine every fall b4 taking it deer hunting to make sure the scope is still dead on, but never had to adjust it from year to year.

The accuracy you want is going to be by going from smoothbore to rifled barrel (not choke) and sabots...not pump to bolt action.

"you've been hunting with it already you know how it handels and what to expect." I think alex hit the nail on the head there.

If you like pumps, spend a little less and get yourself good optics for it. Like Alex, I and alot of friends have shot alot of deer with a rifled 870. If you have your heart set on wanting a different gun (that's how I am) I and a friend have Benelli Nova's that I highly recommend to do the job. Both in your price range.

I don't want to discourage you with the bolt action. But I made a mistake thinking that a bolt action shotgun and rifle are the same which they are not. So I bought the Savage because I had my mind made up that I wanted one even though all the reviews I read said not to. The advancements in the sabot slugs themselves, rifled barrel, and the pumps and semiautos are what you are looking for in 150 yard accuracy. Not the bolt actions except the Abolt and Tar Hunt like I mentioned before.

Well I do want a different gun, partly because I don't think I will like the scoped gun for making drives, which we do. The other reason of course is, I want another gun...

I guess I should just plan on another 870.

Here is an option: go with the scoped slug barrel for sitting on the stand and your 870, and get yourself a 6" to 8" 44 mag. That would be a new gun plus easier to carry on the drive. A buddy of mine brings along his 10mm glock and I have been known to carry a 357 from time to time, but it would have to be a pretty close shot for me with either of those guns. If you went with something bigger than the 44, you would be dealing with more recoil and heavier guns.

Just another thought if you wanted something for drives

I have a 1.5 to 4 power scope on my rifled pump gun and I don't feel handicapped when shooting at moving deer, as opposed to open sights. The secret is practice. Use a .22 rifle with a similar scope for live firing, to save on ammo costs. And a month or so before season, I set the slug gun in the corner by my picture window. When I walk by, I swing up the gun and aim at some spot in the valley behind my house. Do this until the gun aims where you look. Just be sure to have the scope set on the lowest power. As for open sights being faster than a scope, that's false. I had a contest with a guy to hit a paper plate three times at fifty yards. He got his shots off quicker, but didn't touch the paper. Mine were all on. Misses don't fill the freezer.

I have done what picksbigwagon mentioned in using a handgun for drives, although my choice of handgun was different. It's much easier to carry than an 8 lb shotgun. Especially through the brush. Very rarely in the area we made our drives did a driver actually get a shot due to the density of the brush. A handgun will also catch on far fewer branches than the barrel of a slug gun.