• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does Anyone Hunt...?

89Bronco

...with a muzzleloader pistol? More specifically, does anyone use something like a Traditions Kentucky .50 caliber percussion? I would like to use it for deer, but don't know if it's possible (get enough BANG out of it to put one down). Thanks for helping a newbie.

If it's something new, then I'll have to check, but I know in the past the blackpowder revolvers are not legal, but the single shots are.

Yep, in the 2008 regs all it says is that a muzzleloader, long gun or handgun, cannot be loaded at the breech...so revolvers are out. A rifled gun must be at least .40 caliber and a smooth-bore must be at least .45 caliber.

BUT, if there is something new for 2009, then I'll have to look into it.

My question for you is why you would think about useing a weapon that you don't no would put an animal down, not trying to hug a tree on you but you still have to be ethical on your weapon you are allready showing doubt it would work so why try.

What I'm looking for is someone who already does this who can give some guidance as far as how much powder, what type of bullet...(ball, sabot, etc.), before I go and spend time and $$$ experimenting on my own. Someone who could narrow it down a little.

Like I said before, I already know that it is legal, unless there is something different for '09, and I've hunted the last 20 years with a handgun during the regular firearms season, so that's not a concern of mine. I'm just looking for some knowledge from other muzzleloading people out there and thought this might be a good place.