• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat trailer 8 inch wheels will these get hot

mrpike1973

hello i have 8 inch tires on my trailer the small tires my neighbor tells me if i go on a trip over 100 miles they will get hot and burn up bearings tires etc. is this true i bought new tires had the bearings all replaced and packed i plan on one trip up north about 200 miles will i make it

As long as they are properly packed and greased I don't see why not. I would pull over every 50-75 miles and check for heat. Also make sure tire pressure is correct and you should be good to go. Take it easy and things should be smooth.

I agree. If the tires are dot certified and not run over their rated speed and weight limit then I see no problem. Now if you were to pack 15 cases of beer in the boat and all the luggage, coolers, gas and gear then that is another story entirely. Like JimBuck said stop after 50 miles and check for excessive heat from the tires.

My dad's tires on his boat use to always get hot. We would be driving down the road and we would notice a big bulge on the side of the tire. It looked like half of a golf ball sticking out of the tire. We went through this for several years when I was a kid. It was from Dad buying cheap tires like 3 or 4 ply tires. Now we all spend a little more money and get the most ply tire we can get and we have never had a problem with the tire getting hot. And as far as your bearings if they are packed right and you aren't driving to fast they should be fine. Unless you are fully loaded like the guys above have mentioned.

Think of this...if the circumfrence(sp?)of your trailer tires is half of those on your truck, at 70 mph your trailer tires are spinning twice as many revolutions to cover the same distance. Its simple math. Just means the bearing would wear faster than if the circumfrence was 75% of that of the truck tires.

Oh, and if you ask...most trailer bearings are only rated for 55mph unless you specifically look for better bearings.