• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spawn Times

Craigums

It is my humble belief also that the moon phase plays a huge role in dictating when the big girls come up to spawn. Water temp is obviously important but surface temps can be misleading in that water has some insulation properties that can deter quick temp changes when that cold front roles through. The surface area might cool rapidly but it takes awhile for the water not too far below the surface to cool off. The shallows are effected more by bottom color and content when it comes to warming trends also. In other words I think the shallows respond to warming much quicker than farther out on the flats and breaklines so you can see quite a difference in temperatures, as well as location, ie northside or southside of lake. Now I have confused myself, so I guess bottomline, just go out and fish, and if you hit the correct moon phase, some of the big girls are gonna be around looking for dinner and a date.

Will bass smack a topwater bait this time of year?

yes they will, I personally dont throw much topwater till water reaches above mid 70's... I think you would be better off throwing sub surface, however, as cecil says.. they will hit a topwater.

I agree, if the conditions are perfect, they will destroy a top water presentation.. But here is the deal, I dont think we will see those conditions this weekend..

If you love to throw topwater.. Do it!.. its not always about catching fish. Its about having a good time in the boat. Its bass opener, celebrate it, enjoy it however you want.

I think with the cold front(although its not a horrible one) will not make topwater the major presentation.

Will it work.. you bet... will it catch big fish,, sure. but will it be the best option to catch big fish and numbers.. no, IN MY OPINION.. and I have been wrong thousands of time..

If you love to throw topwater.. Do it!.. its not always about catching fish. Its about having a good time in the boat. Its bass opener, celebrate it, enjoy it however you want.

Well said...

I was making a response to the question, "will bass smack a topwater this time of year?", and my answer was I have had them smack the heck out of a PopR. It is not a day in and day out type presentation, but it does have it's moments even at this time of year with cool water. Look at it from this perspective, if they are chasing down a lipless crank or reaction striking it, why not a top water? There usually are better presentations statistically speaking but , you got to admint,, seeing one smoke a topwater is a thing of beauty. For the record, I have had some level of sucess in any water over 60 degrees.