• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spawn Times

Craigums

Im curious at what temps bass are generally in Pre-spawn, Spawn, and Post-Spawn conditions. I know that not all bass spawn at differant times in differant lakes but are there any general rules you guys use? The reason I ask is I will be fishing next weekend in WI and really don't have a clue what type of mood these fish will be in, Have most already spawned?

low to mid 50s is typical pre-spawn. bucks will be up shallow worming around for an area.. right around 60 ish the females move in.. I highly doubt bass have spawned yet .. Unless maybe the extreme southern part of the state.

added this as I had more time to type it..

If at all possible i think the fish try to spawn close to a full moon.. and the actual spawn its self happens between 62-68 usually.

just checked... Full moon is on May 8th.. I would bet some smaller lakes in southern MN may be in the 62 degree water temp and it could happen then.. But probably not for much of the state.. new moon on the 24th of may?.. Really hard to predict when they will. It will depend on the weather quite a bit.

I think that you will find alot of bass in shallow if the sun comes out this weekend. I would look for them in the same areas that you would target ice-out panfish in. They will move in shallow right along with the ice-out crappies, everything is moving shallow now to feed... then the spawning cycle will start.

Ok guys, Deitz thanks for the info on the temps and moon phase info, that is really helpful. Ive got a map printed out and started marking some spots to try. Agape I got two spots marked that look like you describe. And Cecil I found some deep water off a point that leads up to a flat. I'll try both and let the fish decide what to look for.

Im trying to decide what baits to pack now. Flukes, Senkos, Swim Jigs, Rattle Traps, Spinnerbaits should have me pretty much covered depending on water clarity...

You guys all fishing this weekend too?

I would agree that most of the fish are still prespawn. I was down in the southern to mid part of indiana this past weekend and fish were still prespawn there. However, with the really warm weather they were having down there, the fish were starting to move up yesterday aftenoon. water temps were at a wide range from 50 at the dam all the way to 65 in the upper portions of the lake...

I agree with the temps stated, but alot of the times it seems like there is more than one wave of spawners that comes up. Thats why it is always a good idea to check multiple depth zones when fishing this time of the year. (I still wouldn't go any deeper than 12' at the most, but thats just me)

Saw some shallow males building nests last week...We had 64 degrees on a couple lakes in south central Minnesota (before the air temps cooled over the weekend), so it wouldn't be crazy to think they will get started this week.

Man, we still have cold water up in my neck of the woods. I had 48 and 49 all weekend, even in some back bays. Doesn't warm up much when it's still getting down into the 30s at night... Be a long time before we see any spawning up there. Bigger bass are still deep, at least judging by the ones I caught pitching jigs in 8-12 feet trying to catch water donkeys this weekend... Might be a great pre-spawn bite for opener though.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm