Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pascooter94

starting?

7 posts in this topic

I have a 98 chevy truck with the 5.7 in it and about three years ago had a no start problem, it would start for a second and die towed to the dealer thay had it for a week and could not find anything,so about six months later did it again and they had it again for a week and did not find anything, then it did it again then i told them to a new fuel pump in it with the new pig tail so all was well until last night work fine until last night did it again so got a ride home, took the wife to work this am drove back to work and it started up!!dont know it seems if it gets to wet and shorts something out till it drys out or what,and if i rember right it was wet when it happens,but it dont happen in the winter, guys i need your help !!!!!!!!! dont want to take back to the dealer again for the cant find anything again..

i had the same thing happen, if i held the key in just under the start position after it started it would stay running. as soon as i let the key go it would stop. had the wireharness replaced in the steering colum. that was the fix for mine

i would check the rotor and distributor cap and check if its cracked or if the tips inside the distributor are corroded.

If you think moisture is the key then spray down components with water when its running. Start with the coil, then the wires, then the cap, If it stalls at any point than you just narrowed down the possibilities!

Pretty hard to diagnose such a sporatic intermittent.

If/when it happens again I'd try checking for spark. At least that might be a clue if it's on the ignition side or fuel side.

I presume you mean it cranks fine, just won't start? Or?