• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain gear to avoid?

Gadgetman

My current gear is shot and needs to be replaced. There appear to be so many good options out their that I am wondering if anyone has recommendations of brands to avoid. I am kind of leaning towards the Scheels extreme bibs and parka, or the Gander h2o bibs and parka. I kind of like the Cabelas Guide wear but it seems so stiff that I dont know how comfortable it would be. Any input would be appreciated as I want to get a suit that I can be happy with for 5-10 years

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheap suits are a waste of money. Spend the money and get a good suit and you will be thankful. get something that bresthes and is comfortable. I have had my suit for 10 years got it at bass pro shop and it isgoing to last 10 more

Yup, whichever, make sure you go a quality brand with Gortex. I've had my Guidewear for 3 yrs now, and love it. I don't know about the Scheel's line, but I've also heard good things about the GM H2O line. Good luck.

This year my Guide Ware is having its 10th birthday. It has been through many a gale and downpour and hasn't let me down. I always dry it out before storage and follow the maintenance instructions. It cost $375 new, but that's down to $37.50 per year. Not a bad price to pay to be sure the gear will work.

It all depends on the conditions. I find myself using my $59 Frog Toggs more than my $400 Guide Wear. I don't fish in heavy Rain, Snow, Sleet that often but those times Guide Wear is needed and worth the money.

But in moderate rain and temps I found my Frog Toggs to be spot on perfect, really comfortable and not to warm.

Have heard nothing but good things on Guide wear and the BPS 100mph suits. For me, Frog Togs for spring/summer/fall. Price is right, put some polar fleece under it when its cool or cold and your warm and dry. For summer rain it is the best thing going, light weight yet keeps you bone dry and not over heating. For cold weather, ice armor or guide wear.

I have used Guide Wear for the past few years and also Frog Togs. Guide Wear is the best I have ever owned, and if there is ever a problem, Cabelas has always been very open minded with exchange and warranty replacement. Frog Togs for the price is also an excellent choice, I agree with grab the net's assesment. The only question I might have about F Togs is how much stress and wear they can take if you fish alot. But then again, how often you wear your rain suit is up to you. I wear the Guide Wear as a warm wind shell in the early spring and fall besides as rain wear. Dont think you can go wrong with either choice, just that the GW might be a little more durable.

I have the guideware also, nice and dry, I even carry it on the motor cycle, this stuff holds up in 70 mph winds!, the velcro over the zippers make it rain tight, well worth the money. I bought it for both the bike and fishing, I have had $200.00 H.D. suits that shred and this suit is still going strong after 4 years, To some 4 years is not enough to justify the price. But realize that when on the bike I have riddin 400 miles in pouring rain at or above 70mph many times trying to get home and it still keeps me dry. so if you only use it for fishing it will last forever in my opinion

Gortex if you can otherwise dont get anything cheaper than the Gander H2o series. Buy it to fit a bit loose so you can get boots through the bib legs easy enough.

Frog Togs are ok for light use.

The Bass Pro and Cabelas is real nice stuff.

Helly Hanson makes some nice light weight stuff as does columbia.

I have had my GW for a couple years now and it has been the best investment in comfort I have every made. I fish allot in the early spring/late fall so I use it for rain and wind protection. Yes it was a little stiff the first couple times I wore it but is breaks in nicely after a short while.

I have a cheaper (under $100) basically good plastic/rubber type stuff from Columbia and I just can't find a reason to "upgrade" to a goretex type suit....they might not breath great but I have worn them in all types of conditions and with the proper attire on under it I have been warm and dry.....

I would go with the Guide Wear. I had the H2O Guide Series and they worked great for 2 years and then sprung a leak. I returned them and upgraded to the Guide Series Pro Staff rain gear which is the same as the Bass Pro Shops 100 mhp version. I haven't needed to wear it, but it seems nice, but for the money I wish I would have gotten the Guide Wear.

I bought a Gander Tech H2O jacket the day after Christmas a few years ago. The jacket was normally priced at $129.99 marked down to $65.99. That day it was on a rack that was 50% the marked down price. So when it rang up it was about $33! I bought Tech H2O bibs a while later (only on sale for 25% off the $99.99 price grin). So for about $110 I got a complete set. It is excellent. The sleeves have neoprene cuffs so the water doesn't roll down my arm. It stays dry all the time. I have had GoreTex and I like the Tech H2O better. The jacket was well thought out. The neoprene cuffs like I mentoned and outer pocket zippers with "gaskets" (not sure what esle to call them).

I looked at guidewear it looks like a nice suit, kind of spendy though. Do any of you have a suggestion as to if a person should spend more and get the thinsulated version?

Would the insulated suit be to warm in the summer time? would the non insulated suit be to cold in the spring and fall?

I have uninsulated 100 mph. I wear it year round and it is big enough that I can layer underneath with thermals/Under Armor/fleece/etc. Depends where you fish. Up north, July rains can still be pretty cold. You wont be disappointed either way. My vote is go with a size bigger in the uninsulated.