Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spearing Machine

Aldo Leopold shack and Crane Foundation

1 post in this topic

A group of us from the Wildlife Society at UW-Stevens Point made the journey down to Aldo Leopolds "shack" and the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, WI yesterday. The weather didn't cooperate at all and it rained most of the day not giving me much for good photo opportunities. But, it is still quite a feeling being on Aldos land and in his cabin and seeing so many of the things that he talked about in his book. If you don know who Aldo is, he is the father of Wildlife Managment and taught at UW-Madison for many years and also was the writer of "A Sand County Almanac".

Here is a small sample of yesterday.

Aldos "Shack"

"The Parthenon" as the Leopolds called it

Site of "The Good Oak" from Sand County Almanac

As I said we also visited the International Crane Foundation which was also very interesting and definetly a place to stop at if you are ever in the area. They are adding on and building an african exhibit so they will have all fifteen crane species on the site. It is very hard to get pictures through the fencing as they are strict about staying behind the rail so they dont attack so here is all i had to work with.

Sandhill Crane

White Napped Crane

Whooping Crane

Black Crowned Crane

Eurasian Crane