• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What will happen whan Mauer comes back?

SledNeck

And Morales got a taste. Sometimes that is all they need to "take the next step". By giving him a taste now, mabe he will be ready next year when called upon to be the backup to Mauer for the 2010 season. Remember, the only reason he was brought up was because of his bat, not his defence.

I hate to say it but this is Redmonds last year as a Twin, either by retirement or being cut/optioned out. Good luck to him though, he does have a future in coaching.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mauer= best catcher in MLB

And most injury prone. Look, I like the guy, but haven't we all gone to work with a sore back?? I know I have, for about $6.25 million less than what he makes. Amazing how we didn't sign Pudge in the offseason as an insurance catcher. Guys rarely hurt and been at it alot longer than Joe, and Houston got him fairly cheap- still irks me.

I looked up Morales and he has 36 at bats this year and 3 before this year. So a grand total of 39 at bats. Ya mite want a little more of a track record before you let go of Mike Redmond, a CAREER .291 hitter with 2097 at bats.

Mauer will be fine I predict. The thing that I think needs to happen is for GoGo to gogo to RoRochester.

Morales may only have a few atbats in the major leagues, but his minor league numbers and performance, suggest that he is a good contact type hitter and his hitting so far is not a fluke. He is shaky behind the plate, there is no arguing that. However, Redmond is not very good defensively anymore either.

I am certain they will not dump Redmond, nor should they. I believe it is between Morales and Gomez when choosing who to send to the minors. I will bet Gomez is on a plane to New York come Friday. He needs the time down there to straighten his swing out and see some pitches. If the guy can't figure out how to lay off garbage and not swing so hard he gets out of control, then he will be a BUST!

I don't know how much trade value he has either, but Morales sure is putting on a nice show if we do want to flip him + someone else to pickup a bullpen arm at the deadline. Twins have Wilson Ramos in the minor leagues also. Morales is expendable.

The question is What will happen when Mauer comes back and my answer is that the Twins go on a streak and go on top of the division.

Are you kidding me? How will he be the missing link? We have NO pitching whatsoever and clutch hitting is absent. I'll admit Mauer is a great catcher. He can throw out runners and calls a great game. The problem with Mauer is he struggles in clutch situations. He also is very injury prone. He sits out every day after night game. He is the biggest wimp on the team. He is a pro. There is no reason he couldn't catch every day.

He hits for average and gets on base, but he can't get a clutch hit or HR. He is the Twins equivalent of Daunte Culpepper during his MVP year. Always threw to the under route and racked up yardage but couldn't win a game. The Twins need to make a big transaction before we will win a world series.

Too many people put Mauer up on a pedistol and make excuses for him. He really needs to step up for us to make a run. We will see i guess

Originally Posted By: ozzie

And most injury prone. Look, I like the guy, but haven't we all gone to work with a sore back?? I know I have, for about $6.25 million less than what he makes. Amazing how we didn't sign Pudge in the offseason as an insurance catcher. Guys rarely hurt and been at it alot longer than Joe, and Houston got him fairly cheap- still irks me.

Well you may have gone to work with a sore back...but have you bent down for 27 outs or run hard or somewhat hard like He does to round the bases on a double or trying to beat a infield hit throw to first?

QuackAddict, To answer your question think about amateur catchers in MN. Guys go to work all day then come out every night and catch 9 innings every night. These guys do it for a few beers, why can't Mauer do it for a few million bucks? He is a puss who is only in it for the money

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Originally Posted By: ozzie

Well you may have gone to work with a sore back...but have you bent down for 27 outs or run hard or somewhat hard like He does to round the bases on a double or trying to beat a infield hit throw to first?

Nope. Had to lift pieces of steel that weigh over 150 lbs continuously for 8 hours.

QuackAddict, To answer your question think about amateur catchers in MN. Guys go to work all day then come out every night and catch 9 innings every night. These guys do it for a few beers, why can't Mauer do it for a few million bucks? He is a puss who is only in it for the money

Where are these amateur catchers catching 9 innings every night? Maybe 9-27 innings a week with the majority of those coming on the weekend.

Are you kidding me? How will he be the missing link? We have NO pitching whatsoever and clutch hitting is absent. I'll admit Mauer is a great catcher. He can throw out runners and calls a great game. The problem with Mauer is he struggles in clutch situations. He also is very injury prone. He sits out every day after night game. He is the biggest wimp on the team. He is a pro. There is no reason he couldn't catch every day.

He hits for average and gets on base, but he can't get a clutch hit or HR. He is the Twins equivalent of Daunte Culpepper during his MVP year. Always threw to the under route and racked up yardage but couldn't win a game. The Twins need to make a big transaction before we will win a world series.

Too many people put Mauer up on a pedistol and make excuses for him. He really needs to step up for us to make a run. We will see i guess

Mauer struggles in the clutch????

Last year against Mil. He hit a solo go head HR that won the game.... thats what comes to mind first.

Man, hes had alot of game tieing/winning hits. Who around the league would be better?

Which season did culpepper win the MVP exactly.....

and were supposed to take you seriously?

amatuer baseball and doing it for a few beers? Hmmm sounds like bush league and don't need to work hard. Like softball...

but tell that to Mauer, not me. I was just stating a "fact" to zamboni's statement, there are over millions of workers who don't do that (run, bent etc).....but looks like Zamboni lifts heavy stuff at work, I'll take that one against Mauer! smile

it is early in a long season why put him out there with the potential of getting worse or haveing him a whole year at 75% when you can wait a month and have him hopefully for the rest of the season at 100%........with Joe behind the plate the pitch can get better by having him help his pitchers and giving them confidence and the guy is one of the top hitters in the game!!! How can that not help the club out??

It is easier for Joe to miss work with a bad back because his employer has alot invested in him.....you your employer probably doesn't have multi-millions of dollars invested in you and I am sure you have bills to pay so you need to go to work to collect that check....Joe has a nice check guarunteed!!

Originally Posted By: fishinphilth
The question is What will happen when Mauer comes back and my answer is that the Twins go on a streak and go on top of the division.

Way to try and shoot down a fans hope that his return to spark the Twins. You do state that he calls a great game and wouldnt that help out our picthing that you say we have none of? Throwing out guys is a plus, but being a batting champ a couple of times in the last few years may mean a little more. Clutch hitter or not he is the one guy I would want at the plate with the game on the line.

Why wouldn't people put someone on a pedistal when they have are one of the best defensive players for the position (if not the best) and has had the best batting average of all of baseball. Plus he is a Minnesoootan.

Originally Posted By: fishinphilth

i nominate this for worst baseball related post of the year.

yep. A Gold Glove, Two Time Batting Champion who received MVP votes won't make a lick of difference.

can't fault him at all for his batting average. take a look at his career stats. he's over .300 with risp. sure, it would be nice if a few of those hits were homers, but seldom do you get a player that hits for both power and high average (like a Michael Cuddyer for example) so you take the high average joe gives and be glad to have him on the team.

(sorry I just had to throw a little bit of humor in that post)