• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time North Dakota Whitetail

This next fall I will be attending UND and am hoping to do alot of bowhunting. I do not have a clue where to start though. I have bowhunted all my life in the thick woods in MN. I would guess that rivers would be good spots and sloughs? Dont have to give out specific spots, I would just like to know the basics please.

Find a shelter belt next to some corn or beans. Most farmers will let bowhunters on there land. I use to have a spot right on the edge of the Turtle river state park and a feild of beans. I never got denied by any landowners about bowhunting.

I have a buddy who hunts in the exact area that cbrooks is talking about. There's some great spots there and some very nice bucks around. If you go out there in July and Aug and knock on some doors, I'm sure you'll find some places to hunt.

Harvey Lee's suggestion is a great area too, but it's a pretty good hike for you in GF. Heading straight West will be a lot closer to another good area. I'd tell you more details about where to go, but I've never hunted over there- just passing along info from my buddy (which I know is true).

Good luck!

I deer hunt up by Cando. If I were you I would try around the Lakota area!! Not to far from Grand Forks and its loaded with deer and landowners want them gone. Also the size of the deer up there is AWESOME!! Theres a lot of nice shelter belts and cattails around there so finding a place to cover isnt a problem. And a ton of corn!!!

You don't need to drive all that far to find nice bucks. Just north of town along the Red all the way up to the Olso exit there have been nice bucks taken. On highway 2 going east you could try around the Kelly slough area or the spot I told you about earlier. If you go South of town I think its posted pretty tightalong the river. If the land is posted don't get discourage and walk away. Three out of four times the landowner will let you bowhunt. Most of the time they just want to know whos hunting on there land. Good luck bowhunting and let us know how it went.