• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many miles does the truck have on it right now?

The old rule of thumb with brand new diesels is you are not going to get the best mileage till about 10,000-15,000 miles due to the motor is still breaking in. Ford will not even pay M-time for NPF diag. to a diesel-tech for a fuel consumption issue with a truck that has under 15,000 miles. Thus most dealers will not do much with a fuel econ issue on a brand new truck.

When the 6.3 first came out, I was told they where un-chipable. I am sure this has changed and 4WE said a while back their is ways around it. What is out their for a programmers, I do not know.. I have not even done a quick search on the net.

hey shackbash it has 16,000 and i brought it in and there was aa recall on some fuel programing but it didnt make any difference maybe 1 mile at best,i pulled my skidloader to bismark and i live in st.cloud and i fueled up 4 time not right,i can bring my 350 there and fuel up 2 time and still have some left

Do you have the invoice with the recall number on it? Maybe it was a TSB for fuel econ...?

Things may have changed, but any and all recall's/updates/flashes on 7.3l and 6.0's (prior to the 6.3l) seemed to effect emissions more and drop fuel econ... The Federal government (used to) did not care about fuel econ. being effected when they released a recall/update/flash. Only hydrocarbons being released out the tail pipe. The 6.0l's had one that was a whopper. Everyone who had this recall/update (re-cal of the PCM software) done to their trucks came back in a couple weeks demanding to have the old software reinstalled. I forget what we did? grin

I run an 08 6.3l for a work truck and noticed the mileage is not the best. It only has about 14,000 miles on it and I am going off the average fuel econ display in the cluster (no pencil and paper). I will check to see what it says in the morning.

At 16,000 I would just hound the dealer when ever you can. Maybe someone knows of a tuner for the 6.3l that is out and has had some road time and feed back. Maybe a check on-line will help you find it sooner.

Good luck!

I would add a few things, first the engine is a 6.4L, there are sooo many things against the f450 for millage, if you are getting 12 or close to that, consider yourself lucky. The trucks weren't designed for millage, they were designed to pull a house, and they can do that. The rear ends on them are geared for pulling, not for highway millage, the boxes that are put on most of the trucks are like pulling a parachute. Then you have emissions, the govt is willing to sacrifice several miles per gallon, to improve emissions. Letting these trucks idle will suck a lot of diesel. I would say an average for the f450 trucks are 8-10 mpg.

As far as add ons to improve economy on the f450, you wont improve it enough, that I would recommend any of them. The f450 just wasn't built for millage!

Thats about average for the f450's, the f250-f350's are geared more for the highway, and with a factory box on it, it is a little more aerodynamic. The f450-f550 weigh a lot more, they have larger tires, all of these things add up to poor economy, but they have more power then you will ever use!