Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

anyone get drafted by from the gophers

34 posts in this topic

I believe there were only a few possible draftees and they weren't anything special.

The one that was a very good prospect was Eric Decker from Cold Spring. I don't even think he declared for the draft because he was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft last year. Quite an athlete. I'm sure he would have gone somewhere between rounds 3-4

Decker in only a junior and didn't declare for the draft. The only Gopher that was considered this year was DE Willie VanDeSteeg. He wasn't drafted, but there's a change some team will give him a shot. Possibly even the Vikes.

I think Kare-11 said that VanDeSteeg got signed tonight by the Ravens

Ya singed with them last night

First time since 99' that no Gopher player was drafted. I wish the Vikes could have landed Willie, could be the next Kampman!

my bad, I didn't realize he red-shirted... What are the odds Decker goes pro in football? He is an unbelievable baseball player.

Good for Willie!! He is a hell of a guy, that drinking incident hurt him but the kid doesn't drink anymore. Oh does he have some good looking tutors.

From the Strib:

All of Minnesota's colleges and universities were shut out in this weekend's NFL draft.

For the first time since 1999, nobody from the University of Minnesota was taken. Eighteen Gophers have been selected in coach Glen Mason's 10 years, including four each in 2001 and 2006. But none made the cut this time.

James Laurainitis (LOHR'-eh-NYE-tis) of Wayzata and Lydon Murtha of Hutchinson were the only Minnesota high school products drafted this weekend. Laurainitis, who played at Ohio State, went to St. Louis in the second round. Murtha, who played at Nebraska, was picked by Detroit in the seventh round.

Several players with Minnesota ties signed with NFL teams as rookie free agents after the draft.

Nate Swift of Hutchinson and Nebraska signed with Denver. So did Everette Pedescleaux (ped-eh-SCLOH') of Robbinsdale Armstrong and Northern Iowa. Willie VanDeSteeg of Silver Lake and the Gophers signed with Baltimore. Ramon Humber of Champlin Park and North Dakota State signed with Indianapolis.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Willie in purple. The guy doesn't shy away from contact, that is for sure. Guess the Vikings didn't need him for their outstanding kickoff coverage. Can you imagine him ripping down the middle?

awesome information Scott.

Glad to see alot of the local guys from our area are in the NFL. Cool to see that the wright county pumps out alot of talent!

i played against willie back in the day, it was only one game but i can say i did

i played against willie back in the day, it was only one game but i can say i did

Willie was a hockey player way back in the day for Hutchinson youth hockey, if you can believe it. I think he stopped playing cuz he would have had to leave GSL to play high school hockey. Lydon Murtha also played hockey until 8th grade I think. He was a monster on skates.

Saw on ESPN today the preview to the 2010 draft. Decker was the 2nd rated reciever Kipers board.

Ohio State 7

Penn State 5

Wisconsin 4

Iowa 4

Illinios 3

Purdue 2

Northwestern 0

Indiana 0

Minnesota 0

i remember watching murtha throw shot and the disc in track, that was one big dude

Kiper must be losing it. Decker is a good player but I can think of 10 guys off the top of my head that will go before him in next years draft.

He is only the #2 WR on his board. Not the #2 player in the draft.

im wondering if decker is goign to play football or baseball. Guy is a stud in both sports!

and guess what town he is from????????????? confusedsmirkcrazylaughwinkwhistle

Ya i know, Cold Spring, Gods Country!

Originally Posted By: glenn57
and guess what town he is from????????????? confusedsmirkcrazylaughwinkwhistle

Ya i know, Cold Spring, Gods Country!

NA, gods country is further north but its close. laughlaughwhistlewink