• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Under the direct supervision of a parent or gardian for target shooting or marksmanship, it is unclear about hunting but it states for all under the direct supervision of parent or gardian so if your under 21 you have to be with and under direct supervison, very clear what they mean.

yea i think thats kinda dumb also. 21 one to buy a handgun but 18 to buy ammo and what not. but if your like me ive been buying guns since i was 12, as long as i had it under my dads name i could get it.

So do you get what I get out of this, that is that a person 18 and older is able to to be in possission and transport a hand gun????

Essentially, yes, a person 18 and older is able to be in possession and transport (unloaded and cased) a handgun.

The above-mentioned Statute does not tell the whole story.

Look at this as well...

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=624.714

The statute I mentioned addressed "possessing".

The statute FishNovice101 cited addressed "carrying".

The definitions (lawyer speak) have to be considered. It is ok for an 18 year-old to possess a handgun (to transport unloaded and cased, to have a handgun to target shoot or hunt with, etc.)

A person must be 21 to obtain a permit to carry. Carry is defined and there is further discussion on what it means to "carry". There is also mention of carrying in a "public place" and consideration has to be given to how "public place" is defined in the statutes.

Yes, the 20-year old could transport it unloaded and cased in his truck. He could also target shoot with it.

The 20-year old would not be able to obtain a (concealed)carry permit.

Here is some of the statute, 624.714, that covers it (Parts 4 & 5 address the question you asked) :

Subd. 9.Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice. A permit to carry is not required of a person:

(1) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;

(2) to carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;

(3) to carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;

(4) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or

(5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package