Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ms4dux

Special jake

5 posts in this topic

Was able to take my 5 yr old son out during the B season.We had alot turkeys gobbling on the roost mon,tues. and thurs. mornings.We had 6 jakes in our dekes on mon. and tues. morn.We saw one tom on tues. morn.He got to within 40 yds. of us figured something out and took of running too much brush in way.On thurs morn my brother and son were with,we headed to one of my brother spots.Alot of gobbling on the roost,they flew down and were still gobbling.It was looking good.then they got to the creek and instead of jumping over they decided to follow it away from us.We decided to move closer.We got set up,heard a gobble, game on.We started calling,about 10 min. later we spotted 2 white heads comming through the woods.2 jakes saw the dekes and came in running.They were strutting around the jake deke putting on a great show.We watched them for a minute,BOOM one on the ground,15 yds away.Not my biggest but for sure a special turkey for my son and I.It was a hunt he and I will never forget!Good luck to everyone. DSCF1654-1.jpg

Very cool memories for you and the little man. Thanks for sharing your outdoor time with a young one and congrats!

MJ

Awsome!

I'm sure you two will recount that hunt for years and years.

I'd take a jake with one of my kids along over a tom by myself anyday! Congrats, and nice job on making the extra effort it takes to get your son out there with you!

Great memories there for the both of you. Thats what makes a hunt so special.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Inevitably at least twice each season I will leave the house, drive 45 minutes and walk some of my favorite grouse spots for hours and hours, seeing nothing.  Admitting defeat on that day, I will drive 45 minutes back home, only to find a covey of birds in the driveway...
    • Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch Maker's Maker's 46 Bulleit Glenmorangie Highland Single Malt   Copperwing Distillery in St. Louis Park has a nice smooth whiskey. Supposed to introduce a new bourbon in a couple weeks too.
    • Hey featherslayer, you gonna register that nice bird of yours pretty soon?
    • cool find!  sure looks like a Swainson's.  
    • Great info.   Thanks Steve!   Jim
    • Came across this hawk on Earth Day at the edge of town. I've been told dark morph Red-tail, dark morph Swainson's and dark morph Broa- winged. Anyway, it's a dark morph some kind of hawk.
    • Yes it was.  I really needed one more layer today.  Lots of jakes and hens seen by us this morning.  Still looking for the toms.  Hope you had more luck.
    • There are a lot of apps available for that. Search your app store for "phone tracking" or something similar. Many give you the ability to share your positions so you both can see each other live. You might even have an app already on your phone. For example, I have Lookout Security installed on my phone and it includes the ability to find the location of my phone from another phone or PC. 
    • Watch your City Ordinances.  Some city's require a back-flow preventor, and it can be VERY expensive. I have both the battery backup, and the water driven sump pumps in my pit--all at different elevations, and feel very confident. When the water comes up, and the power goes out, the battery backup starts working.  After that the water driven sump pump will kick in.  The water driven pump will keep pumping until the power is restored and the main pump returns everything to normal. There is always water pressure in a power outage (from the tower).  Cities keep the tower full for fire protection
  • Our Sponsors