• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop Q on a 150 Optimax

Musky_Madness

I am looking at getting a stainless on the 150 Optimax. It is powering a 1850 Fishhawk with a top GPS speed of 48. I currently have a 19p aluminum OEM prop on it that is running WOT around 5700 RPM. I have found some bargains on the web on a set of Laser II props that are 19 pitch and diameter of 14.25 instead of the 14" that I have on there now. Will that slow down my RPM's or speed them up? I believe the high end RPM is 5750 and don't want to surpass that. Any input on style of prop either? I have heard a lot of good things about the Laser II and see them quite often on a lot of rigs.

You are going to be moving more water by increasing diameter, which will translate into a higher load on the engine, potentially lowering rpm. I don't think a 1/4 inch will make a big difference, and your wot rpm should remain in range. I'm not familiar with Lazer II, but if you are not going from 3 to 4 blades the change will be minimal.

With a 150 merc and big fishhawk, I bet you anything that a Tempest in 19" is about as good as you will find. Merc makes a newer model now, not sure of the name, that I hear is pretty good, but the Tempest is what will work great. We have a 150efi and tried Tempest 21" and it was just a bit too much prop for our alum boat. 19" is ideal. The opti will be real close to the efi I think.

The Laser is for bassboats, I would not recommend it at all. We tried one, horrible for our application anyway. 175 Tourn. Pro.

Good luck!

I run a 14"x19p Laser on my 150 opti on a 06 tyee1850. Today I was running 48.5mph gps at 5500 rpm. That is with 1/2 tank of gas, kicker, three batts, fishing stuff and two dogs. My hole shot is fine, not great but more than enough. I know the tyee is about 500lbs heavier than the fishawk and has a much different hull. So I'm not sure how that will transfer to the fishawk. I guess I'll second Northlanders suggestion and call solderblooms. Their props are a lot less expensive than mercs and i think he will let you test and trade until you get the one you want.

UPDATE

I found a flawless Laser II 14" x 19" on c-list for $200 this week. It was a spare and basically had never seen water. Took her out and topped 50mph (GPS) by myself and 1/2 of gas. Prop worked out very well and really lifts the hull of the boat up. When looking to the sides, there is only water spraying out the last 3 inches probably from the sides when WOT. Today in the chop with two guys, gear, full tank of gas we were a few notches over 48mph into the chop and skipping over the white caps. I was quite impressed and a good $200 well spent.