Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
St_Croix_Banks

Question for E-Tec Owners

6 posts in this topic

I have 2 questions:

1. What's the best oil to use for 2005 200 hp? XD 50 or XD 100? Pro/Cons of each. I've heard XD 100 is more efficient and you burn alot less oil.

2. I recently was changing out my plugs and the tech told me they need to be "indexed" which is to make sure the gap is facing the injector. The problem is 3 of the plugs are threaded in such a way that when I tighten them down, the are facing 180 degrees away from the injector. I've tried playing musical chairs with the plugs but can't get it to work out for all 6 plugs. How do I handle this?

Thanks, Rick

1. You probably consider my opinion biased, but there are a lot of FMers who agree - Use AMSOIL HP Injector - ashless, no carbon buildup, greatly reduced smoke (smokeless in most), full synthetic. I cannot understand 2 different oem oils having different oil consumption - it requires a specific viscosity oil and the oil use rate should be very nearly the same for all. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions ...

2. I don't understand why go to the trouble to index plugs for a stock engine - it really is a lot of trouble for a very minimal gain. (Is the OEM oil so poor quality that they need this little advantage?) Normally to achieve it you need an extra 'bucket full' of plugs to get enough different tip to thread bottoming angle vs thread starting position in the head to get what you want - and a lot of patient effort to do it. A lot of race cars don't bother with much indexing effort.

When we used to index the plugs on our drag car, we had a container with spark plug shims, and by matching the plug with the right shim, you could index the plug into the position you desire.

I would assume you do the same for a marine engine.

I believe the oil consumption is different because you set the motor to what oil you are using.

So are you saying I will not notice a perfomance decrease OR a decrease in plug life if I don't index them? One dealer told me to do it and the other said it didn't matter.

Not that there won't be a difference - fairly small, but I doubt the performance improvement will be worth the effort.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• The Schrillary reich didnt compromise Bernie? And when hasnt the biased media compromised an election in recent memory? Nick is a hack and consistently posts 2nd grade propaganda, hes sold out to the party. They've been exposed and are resorting to extremes.  They went all in with obama and got called, he had far more to do with the outcome of the elections than anything  leaked by anyone.  Now its the fake blame game, humorous to say the least.   Snowflake butthurt apparently leads to desperation.
    • Really??? Catfish is my favorite fish.
    • I suspect you haven't visited this year or seen the reports.     And, for the record, I didn't say I was catching "tons" on Mille Lacs, but it was the best lake I've visited in the last two years.  And it wasn't even close.    
    • I think Schells is Minnesota's oldest brewer, so they must be doing something right.   I know some guys from New Ulm, and they all drink Schells.   That's how I got turned onto it in the first place.  Never got burned out on it, though..
    • Sink or swim? I am sure that some of you have heard that if you put seeds in water the ones that sink are better then the ones that float. I have heard this from the old guys but I have never tried it myself. Well I found myself with some radish seeds and I decided to pour them into a cup of water and sure enough about half sunk to the bottom while the rest floated. I got out a bowl and filled it with coconut husk planting mix and put the floaters on one side and the sinkers on the other. I am now waiting to see what side comes up first or if both sides will come up at the same time.   Any comments? Has anyone else heard of this and does anyone check their seeds before planting?
    • Maybe he's just hungry............    
    • Catfish!! I haven't had that in about ten years! Dang, that looks good! 
    • All day long you sit here and demand answers from everyone else but you never answer anyone else's questions. I wonder why that is?    
    • I would guess even Fletcher would say Stall has passed all expectations. I will give credit to Fletcher for building this team from absolute zero, we had almost no skill or prospects when he took over,  sure it took longer than we wanted but right now it is worth it. No doubt luck can play a roll, most GM's don't have a Suter, Parise, Stall & BB fall into their lap but quality drafting and development are also paying big dividends right now. We also have a lot of high end prospects that can fill in for the vets in the coming years. A cup is still a long ways away but this year is probably the best NHL team the state has ever seen.
  • Our Sponsors