• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for E-Tec Owners

St_Croix_Banks

Question

I have 2 questions:

1. What's the best oil to use for 2005 200 hp? XD 50 or XD 100? Pro/Cons of each. I've heard XD 100 is more efficient and you burn alot less oil.

2. I recently was changing out my plugs and the tech told me they need to be "indexed" which is to make sure the gap is facing the injector. The problem is 3 of the plugs are threaded in such a way that when I tighten them down, the are facing 180 degrees away from the injector. I've tried playing musical chairs with the plugs but can't get it to work out for all 6 plugs. How do I handle this?

Thanks, Rick

5 answers to this question

1. You probably consider my opinion biased, but there are a lot of FMers who agree - Use AMSOIL HP Injector - ashless, no carbon buildup, greatly reduced smoke (smokeless in most), full synthetic. I cannot understand 2 different oem oils having different oil consumption - it requires a specific viscosity oil and the oil use rate should be very nearly the same for all. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions ...

2. I don't understand why go to the trouble to index plugs for a stock engine - it really is a lot of trouble for a very minimal gain. (Is the OEM oil so poor quality that they need this little advantage?) Normally to achieve it you need an extra 'bucket full' of plugs to get enough different tip to thread bottoming angle vs thread starting position in the head to get what you want - and a lot of patient effort to do it. A lot of race cars don't bother with much indexing effort.

When we used to index the plugs on our drag car, we had a container with spark plug shims, and by matching the plug with the right shim, you could index the plug into the position you desire.

I would assume you do the same for a marine engine.