• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ham Leftovers?

I scored a free spiral ham from my local grocery store around Easter time. Plan on cooking it up today in a covered roaster pan with an apple juice bath (if you haven't tried this, it's fantastic, I highly recommend it). Any way, my questions is, besides sandwiches does anyone have a good leftover ham recipe? Hot dishes, soups etc? We're leaving for vacation mid-week so I want to make sure it's eaten before then. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Creamed asparagus and ham

melt one stick of butter in a large pot. Add 3 Tbl of flour and stir until thick. Whick in 1/4 gallon milk and 2 cans of creamed asparagus soup. Whisk heavily until creamy. Add 3 cans of asparagus with juice, cooked cubed ham, white pepper and chicken bouillion to taste. Simmer 20 minutes sturing frequentley. Serve over toast or toasted english muffin.

Red beans and Rice! This is my favorite for ham leftovers:

1 lb. dried red beans

1 large onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 rib celery, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 lb smoked sausage, andoullie is good, so is Polish

ham in bite size chunks, 3-4 cups

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp sage

1/2 tsp black pepper

pinch of cayenne red pepper

salt to taste

Place beans in a large bowl and cover with water to soak overnight. Drain beans and put everything in a large heavy pot

except the salt, in cold water covering all in the pot. Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender, adding water if necessary. Thicken with cornstarch, ( two tblsp to two tblsp. cold water, mix well then pour into the pot while stirring)

Serve over white rice, add salt to taste. Makes about 8 servings. Enjoy!

our favorite use for ham "scraps" is Ham & Beans. I soak the beans overnite then drain them. Put them in your cook pot and add the bits of ham, a medium onion, one bullion cube black pepper (no salt) a can of beer and, if needed, 1/2 pound of thin sliced bacon end & pieces. Cover with water alittle obove the level of the beans. Bring it to a boil then reduce to a slow simmer til the beans are done, about 3 hours. You want to keep an eye on the liquid level so they won't burn. You can freeze left overs. This is pretty good with cornbread and raw onion.

My favorite ham recipe is from Cooking light and is called Ham Tetrazzini. Basically: Ham, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, broth, milk, flour, noodles put in a pan/casserole, then covered with cheese and breadcrumbs and baked. Yummy!! grin

eyes317

Creamed asparagus and ham

melt one stick of butter in a large pot. Add 3 Tbl of flour and stir until thick. Whick in 1/4 gallon milk and 2 cans of creamed asparagus soup. Whisk heavily until creamy. Add 3 cans of asparagus with juice, cooked cubed ham, white pepper and chicken bouillion to taste. Simmer 20 minutes sturing frequentley. Serve over toast or toasted english muffin.

Sounds really good.

another thing we do with left over ham & beans is to heat them up while warming a flour tortilla. Wrap the ham & beans in the tortilla then brown it nicely on a griddle or in a frying pan, top it off with chili, grated cheese and onions or whatever a guy would like on it.

Ham salad. I make it in the food processer just add ham and sweet pickle relish grind up put in a bowl add mayo to desired consistancy and spread on your favorite bread or roll. I like mine best on toasted white bread.

I just made turkey spread the same way only used onions instead of pickle relish.

Good Eating!!!

Omlets or pizzas are 2 easy ways to use it up.

I also made up a ham, brocolli, and pasta dish in a white butter sauce that was really good.

Just boil the pasta and once it is almost done toss in the brocolli with the pasta to cook.

While that is going sautee some onions. Add equal parts butter and flour (about 2-3 tables spoons) and then add some chicken stock (just add enough to make the right amount of sauce) You can always add more butter or flour to get the right taste/consistency.

Cut up the ham into little pieces.

Toss the cook pasta and brocolli in a glass serving bowl, toss in the ham, cover with the sauce and stir it all together. Grate some parmessan cheese over the top and bake for 5-10 minutes at about 350.

Its a pretty flexible recipe and you can't really mess it up. Best of all its a quick meal to prepare when you get home from work.

I really like this, cut or dice up the ham and put it in a baking dish and a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup and a can of or package of frozen peas. Cover the whole thing with tatar tots and throw in the oven till hot and tots are brown. If you have any leftover turkey from thanksgiving throw that in with the ham and put in baking dish, i think it is very good